+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Copper IUD side effects

Hi there. I had a really negative experience with the copper IUD. Cramping all month long, sometimes as bad as contractions and very heavy bleeding for 7-8 days. My cycle is only 23 days anyway so having an 8 day period and spotting in between periods was a nightmare.

I also got really bad PMS that seemed to go on all month. Horrible mood swings, increased appetite (have gained 8 kgs since February) and really bad skin (cystic acne bad!). I went back to the doctors many times and I kept getting told that it couldn't be related to the IUD as it is non-hormonal but I was getting hormonal acne around my chin and bad PMS so how could it not be? I was told it was just my own hormones that were causing it! I really don't believe it.

I changed my diet and started exercising but no weight loss and I still look pregnant. Most of the fat is around my tummy and my body shape has changed. My breasts are bigger too and I went up a cup size! I decided to listen to my body and my intuition so I went in today and had it removed but still got the whole " it's all in your head: attitude. Hoping for the best now!

Anyone else here had a negative experience with this "non-hormonal" IUD? If you also had it removed, how long till things went back to normal for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi also had IUD put in at my bubs 6 weeks check up (she is now 17 weeks). I have had all the exact same symptoms as you. I haven't taken a pregnancy test but other than spotting have not had a proper period yet. However I am breastfeeding so have concluded that is why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    Hi also had IUD put in at my bubs 6 weeks check up (she is now 17 weeks). I have had all the exact same symptoms as you. I haven't taken a pregnancy test but other than spotting have not had a proper period yet. However I am breastfeeding so have concluded that is why.
    Hi! Yeah I would suspect BF is why in your case!
    I'm so confused!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I've had the copper IUD since Feb 2013.

My periods only got a little heavier, and for me they are not painful.

I have noticed that my cycles are not 100% regular now. Sometimes I ovulate earlier, other times later. I religiously track my period in a fertility app, so I can definitely confirm some months my cycle is shorter, other months longer.

I've never had brown mucus, so's like it's time to see your gp

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you end up getting it removed?