+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah, I wouldn't be leaving my child like that. Drop and run sure...once you've seen the parents of the party child and given them your number. I also return 15 minutes before the party is due to end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    At our local pool it's actually pool policy that at parties, parents must stay to supervise their own children under the age of ten - so most people just write that at the bottom of the invitation.
    I think I will write that. I'd hate for something to happen and being at a pool with lots of kids, I cant keep an eye on all kids 100% of the time. If it were at my place however, I wouldn't have a prob with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Definitely write it at the bottom of the invitation if you want parents to stay. We had an ice skating party for DD1 when she turned 7 and I wanted at least half the parents to stay so I prearranged for them to have tickets purchased and skate hire paid for. There was no way DH and I could supervise 14 kids ice skating.

Personally I usually stay at pool parties unless I am told I don't have to and even then I'd probably hang around for a bit. DD1 is a very strong swimmer but still.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    well I'm glad most people seem to agree its a bit lax, I was wondering if I was being too helicopterish! I just thought it was taking free-range parenting a bit too far, I know the staff would have had WWC checks (mandatory in VIC) but they're strangers. And not to turn up at pickup time... its a bit hard to stipulate pickup time when you don't even see the parents though! The guy running the party was so good though, he was really understanding even though he had to hang back for an hour.

As for pool parties, I was at one last year, there were about 15 kids and 5 mums, they all knew each other really well and watched over the kids like hawks. The kids were all kept together and engaged in pool games with 3 staff members so it worked really well for them. It was a bit nerve-wracking though trying to keep eyes on everyone Not the kind of party I would call relaxing for the parents!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I tend (I think) towards the free range when it comes to parenting and parties but with a pool party I would stay unless the parents specifically told me otherwise. For their sake as well as mine. Who wants to be supervising a party full of kids in a pool without assistance?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    This! I walk my dd in, say hello to the parent and birthday girl/boy, and leave. Same with picking her up- I try to get there 10-15 mins before party is due to end, walk in, have a quick chat to the parent to see how it went and say thank you for having dd, dd says her thank you and goodbye and we leave.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Same here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah that's pretty appalling that they didn't even make sure you were there first. I'd be fine with not hanging around for the whole party at that age but no way would I just drop and run without coming in and talking to the parents first.
    The aunt not coming to pick up the kid and not even apologising for her lateness is pretty bad too

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always ask what the situation is. I am never sure if parents expect the child to be dropped off or if the parent should stay being a 6yrs or over birthday party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    Im having a pool party at the local pool for my 6 yr old soon and one of the mothers of the kids invited told me today "yay I can drop her and leave"... I didnt quite know what to say.. I have my own few kids to look after and 2 are quite small.. the pool is a busy one and I would have thought a parent would be there to watch their own child... its at a largish pool what if something happens?
    Tell her due to the ages that a parent or guardian needs to come.

No way in hell I would take responsibility for a heap of young children at a pool. I can't believe that parents would be so thoughtless as to drop and run at a 6 year olds birthday at the pool. As if the parents don't have enough to worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Dd7 had her birthday party on Sunday. We were running late so we didn't get there until 5 mins before it was due to start, only to be met by two of the guests, both just on the 7yo mark, hanging out the door to greet us. Both of them had been dropped off, one by her Dad, one by her aunt. The only other people at the venue were two staff members. I know both the dad and the aunt went straight back to their homes. And the aunt didn't turn up at the party's end until I called the child's mother (whose number I only had by coincidence) to see who was coming to pick her up. So we had to hang around for an hour until the aunt showed up, the venue staff were waiting to lock up and when she finally showed up she basically didn't appear to give a stuff 0.0.

I'm a bit shocked tbh, firstly I'd never drop my child off with complete strangers, if I wanted to drop and run I'd make sure the party hosts were there and if not I'd wait until they arrived. And I'd make sure I knew what time pickup was. And if I kept 4 adults waiting for an hour I'd at least apologise. Am I living under a rock here?
    I would have called the dad and said "just wanted to let you know we saw Freddy out front and he made it in to the party safely. You're welcome to come join us." Hopefully the moron would have got the hint.

I would have left the mother of the girl a message along the lines of the above message. I would have said something to the Aunt upon pickup "sorry, if little Laura was bored this past hour we didn't have any activities planned as the party finished an hour ago. "