+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 4yo (soon 5) not really eating

I have reached my wits end with DD who will be 5 in a few months.

As a baby on pureed food she'd eat anything and everything. Once she started feeding herself it got tricky but we still go some vegies in.

Fast forward to now and we have completely regressed. She will not eat any fruit unless it is puree'd apple. Vegies we have managed carrot and peas and couscous instead of potatoes. She's stopped eating much of anything except plain crackers, plain pasta or plain rice. She seems to only want salty or sweet foods - which she doesn't get- but now I understand her request for vegemite (salty) or a croissant which I deem sweet.

Her tonsils and adenoids are slightly enlarged but not as bad as her brothers who had some feeding issues due to the size of his. The ENT said her's were questionable whether or not to come out so for now they stay. We had thought this was the issue when she stopped eating meat.

Where do I go from here? Obviously the GP but do I go to a dietician or to a paediatrician? This can't go on - she's not putting any weight on, always got a runny nose or a cough (maybe just the season, I'm not sure) and just generally I'm worried about her. We went to a kids party on Sunday and she literally ate half a bread roll. Breakfast is no better - we're down to cereal with no milk!

I've tried everything I can think of - nothing to eat if you don't eat your dinner, saying something, not saying something - nothing works. DS wasn't like this and I'm out of ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump - doesnt anyone have a bad eater?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I don't have any advice. Have you tried making fruit & vege juices? I hear from some of my other friends that have difficult eaters this has worked for a bit of time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That must be so stressful for you. I'm sorry I don't have any real advice that isn't all the stuff you would've heard before but I will hash it out and hopefully it bumps the thread too. I do have some questions:

Does she drink milk? If so, how much?

Have you tried scrambled eggs or omelette on her?

If she likes plain rice & pasta, what about oat porridge for breakfast? - thinking it's bland and white-ish, maybe not such a stretch.

Again along the lines of bland and white, how about minced chicken rissoles?

Have you tried home made icy poles made from puréed fruit? (Ie banana & blueberry).

Maybe there's a good book around on fussy eaters which may help?

Hopefully some expert mummas will come along shortly with some good answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was my oldest. She had limited foods, and then limited them further. We saw a paediatric dietician. It took 6 months but she became a great eater! Part of her issue was low iron, which alters their taste buds and makes everything taste 'yuk.' While you're waiting to get in to a dietician, get the GP to check iron levels. If they're low, then starting on an iron supplement might help.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is difficult to feed but I have a few things I know she will eat.

I know that my child will not eat vegetables by choice, so all of our meals are wet dish style with vegetables that have been milled down to a grain in the food processor and cooked in a tomato base or a roux, stew or similar and cooked in the pressure cooker so they nearly disappear. Will your DD eat anything like bolognaise?

DD only eats 3 kinds of fruit - watermelon, mango and strawberry. She used to eat bananas but she ditched them. She also used to eat yogurt - ditched that. Used to eat grapes - ditched them. You get my drift.

Are there any kids nutritionist in your area? I live in Brisbane and i have seen that there is one that does classes for parents of kids like ours. I haven't been yet but I may do in future.

Have you tried a rewards chart for trying new foods?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for replying.

I will try porridge again as she did like that - I use the single serve packets, would it be too much to expect her to eat it all?

She drinks milk but probably less than a cup a day, she does like eggs, might try that even on a school day rather than just the weekends. She wont drink juices of any kind, I drilled water into them so much that it bites me on the backside sometimes.

She wont eat rissoles or a bolognaise type sauce as she can see bits of onion or god forbid parsley being green and the tears start. If i try to convince her to eat then she tries to makes herself throw up at the table!

I'll follow up with the iron - wouldn't surprise me if she is lacking all sorts of vitamins, even though I've given her multivitamins I'm sure its not the same. She's often constipated or at least seems to be given the pushing grunts I hear. Other than a blood test is there any other way to check this?

I'll ask the doctor for a pediatric nutritionist as well, she hasn't put on any weight in heavens knows how long and meal time on general is just miserable. I'll try and do a rewards chart too.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Puree all your vegies maybe and then add them to rissoles etc?

Also, my dd does like mashed potato so I add cauliflower and I also pass some cannelini beans through a seive to get the outer layer off and mash them into the potato. I figure that little bit of protein is better than nothing. Mash anything else that is white in too.

Does she like pasta? You can get kids ravioli which is quite nice and not loaded with garbage. I think it is latina in the fridge at the supermarket.

What does she have in the average day?

(ps, my dd eats dry cereal every day. I can't get her to have milk on it but she will have a glass of milk. I like to think of it as deconstructed)

I have even cooked things with DD and then she refuses to eat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing so I can reply tomorrow. Hang in there.

Eta: I mean hang in there about the eating, not waiting for my reply!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried bento? Make food a bit of fun. I am not saying dancing around the kid, because I am not the type, but it is worth a try. Myself had a period when was cooking bento style for my older lunchbox for childcare and it was fun for him. Look up in google images and also for books about bento.
    Also, instead to make veggies dissapear, maybe other way around? I started to give my kids broccolini (they are much nicer than broccoli, which can be bland and when overcooked, not really nice and smelly ) and called them "little trees" and they like eating their "little trees" by now.
    My oldest (4 years 4 months) is very erratic eater close to non eater. Still, I keep giving him many different foods and sometimes he eats, sometimes not, one day he likes something, another don't even though he requested it.