+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default cat napping 40 mins

Hi, I have a 10 week old son who at about 5 weeks started to cat nap. Pretty much 40 mins on the dot every time. I've tried save our sleep routine but it stressed me out and I just became a clock watcher which made me exhausted (hats off to everyone who can do it) when I did the routine bub became too exhausted if I waited until he was next due for his sleep. I've tried white noise, shh'ing, let him cry it out but he can not get passed the 40 mins. If I'm out and walking he usually will sleep through ok. He is great of a night, in bed by 7 self settles and wakes at 3ish for a feed and then usually wakes around 7. Has anyone else had the same issue? I feel like I'm obsessing over his daytime sleeps. Help! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing to reply later

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what I wrote in a thread way back in feb.... A poster with an 11 week old with same issue. It's very common

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    My bubs only napped in 40 minute blocks until 5.5 months of age. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do at this stage, babies will stretch their naps naturally when they are developmentally ready which will happen by 6 months of age.
    There is a great piece of info about this on the troublesome tots website - your nemesis: the short nap. Google it. I found the troublesome tots very reassuring and helpful.
    It sucks I know :/
    Eta since 5.5 months she naps like a champion never under an hour it just happened.
    I had written a more comprehensive post somewhere else but can't find it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd like to add I got vey good at doing things in 40 minute blocks lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel... I have been walking him some days to get additional sleep after the 40 mins is this ok to do? Thanks for your reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by newmummy82 View Post
    Glad to hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel... I have been walking him some days to get additional sleep after the 40 mins is this ok to do? Thanks for your reply
    The SOS book (not that I followed it as such but used it as a very rough guide) actually recommends doing this before 16 weeks to stretch it out
    I used to do it all the time after she woke up
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 14-10-2014 at 17:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is exactly my almost 5 month old. He doesn't nap past the 30-40 minute block (and even sometimes 10 minutes). It's difficult to get him to sleep too. I've started swaddling him again for his day naps (sleeping bag at night) and have some white noise which will occasionally work. He doesn't always have a dummy and sometimes it doesn't seem to bother him. When it's good weather I'll take him for a walk in the pram to stretch it out too. I always thought it was because we had such a difficult first 10 weeks. DS has a belly button infection and he would scream for 5+ hours a day we took him to nurses and doctors who told us that it's just wind etc and we didn't find out until he was 10 weeks when his belly button literally burst. But that's getting a bit sidetracked. I just didn't have the chance to start good habits and DH is a chef so he is away for over 12 hours a day usually not coming home until after midnight. I'm sure when our bubs are teenagers we will be cursing how much they actually sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi newmummy, my DD was a catnapper too, except mine didn't sleep that well at night either. I ended up taking away her dummy when she was 12 weeks old after replacing it at least 8 times one night. I was exhausted and DD would get cranky from not enough sleep. I used controlled crying which is not for everyone but after a couple of days she was having 2-3 hour naps and slept better at night. It was the best thing I ever did. Also, is your DS wrapped? I used Love to Swaddle and my DD preferred that to wrapping arms down in a muslin wrap. I found the info on Settle Petal website helpful and I used the methods in her ebook. She has a common sense guide to settling and routines which I liked. Best of luck, its not easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second what Little miss sunshine said. My DD was exactly the same, by about 6 months when she was having less day sleeps she started sleeping longer. By the time she was down to one day sleep is was at least 2 hours.

Hang in there, hopefully you won't have a catnapper forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm holding onto the hope that my catnapper will start sleeping better in the day. He's 6 months this coming Sunday though so hope is fading. Thankfully he's a good boy at night.