+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Changing Careers

Who's changed careers after having children? My boy has just turned a year old and I've been back at work since May. I don't enjoy my job, but it pays well and allows me to work part time. I haven't enjoyed it for at least the last three years but i thought taking maternity leave would give me a break, some time to get perspective and I'd come back to the job and maybe enjoy it this time. I want to work. Maternity leave showed me I'm no good at staying home. So I'm thinking of a career change. It seems like a bad time to go back to uni and I have no idea what I want to do! The course I did leads straight to the one job I'm doing and it's hard to think of switching and starting all over again. Has anyone else done it and how did you go? I'm worried I am leaving a job with a good stable income and I am the primary income earner. But I hate the job itself and the work only fills me with an anxiety that I feel outside of hours as well.
    Last edited by Rueblade; 13-10-2014 at 21:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    when I eventually go back to working, it'll be a career change

I also did a course at college that led me directly to my previous job/career of 11 years, so I really have no other formal training or experience

but! if you can afford to start over, do it. life is too short to not try things because of fear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing, 1st hour back from over a year of mat leave felt like I'd never left we've only just started our family though so it's another 5+ years for me as I have great conditions for young families

Thanks
    Reviews
    Recent shocks have reminded me how short life is and too short to live with regret. I am about to embark on a new career.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

Rueblade  (15-10-2014),zooey  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What i have realised over my working career, is that 99% of the time you cant have it all. So you really need to work out what you want out of a job and what aspects of your current job you don't like. For me its having the freedom to work my own hours, and to work from home. But in doing that I am having to take a small pay cut.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

Rueblade  (15-10-2014),zooey  (15-10-2014)