+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It'd surprise me, but wouldn't bother me. My inlaws (who we are close too) booked a cruise leaving the due date of DS1, who was born as they were leaving Sydney harbour!

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The IL's were on a cruise when DD2 was born. They booked after they knew. The only thing that annoyed me was them telling me nor to have her until they were home (there was NO WAY that was going to happen LOL)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You need family bonding I didn't want any visitors anyway

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (14-10-2014),KitiK  (21-10-2014),Super Trooper  (22-10-2014),Uh-Oh  (14-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your responses it's given my some perspective. I didn't have a go at him I was surprised when he said the dates and he didn't even remember when the baby was due anyway...probably more issues surrounding our relationship than just this hence the reason my reaction internally may be a little emotional.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FuddyMum For This Useful Post:

PlayNice  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FuddyMum View Post
    Thanks for all your responses it's given my some perspective. I didn't have a go at him I was surprised when he said the dates and he didn't even remember when the baby was due anyway...probably more issues surrounding our relationship than just this hence the reason my reaction internally may be a little emotional.

I guess then it is more relationship issues then between you two. Although as previous PP have said, some people just don't place as much value on it as perhaps people like you and I - everybody's different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonx View Post
    I guess then it is more relationship issues then between you two. Although as previous PP have said, some people just don't place as much value on it as perhaps people like you and I - everybody's different.
    Yeah I am coming to terms slowly but surely that I can't continue to expect that he would go out of his way to remember something other than anything that revolves around him...I am not going to expect too much excitement etc from him that way I can't get too disappointed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be devastated if my dad had been away when I had either bubba. I'm a solo parent by choice and my parents play a huge role in my daughters life. My dad stayed with me in hospital, got up to both DDs during the night in those early days to help me, and retired when I went back to work so he could look after DD1. They are as thick as thieves together. So when I had DD2 it was natural he look after her while I was in hospital again.

I realise I'm very lucky and not all relationships are like ours. I think he helps more than most hubby's do! My mum retired last year and now they take a daughter each to look after during the day . Grandparents are awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well my Dad passed away before any of my children were born, so I can't answer specifically about him, but I would be VERY shocked if either my mum or my MIL or FIL were to go away when I had a baby due.
    Not because I want their help... I'm very independant as a mum and don't want or need anyones help, but because who wouldn't be desperate to meet their grandchild as soon as they are born?! Maybe it's just the way our family works, but yes I would find it extremely strange. Babies are honestly my everything... and are basically the most important thing in all of their grandparents lives too. That is our normal, so I find a parent not caring enough to be away when their granchild is born abnormal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be disappointed because I would know it's his girlfriend calling the shots and I would be annoyed they didn't consider me / my baby. Plus he is lined up to look after DD while I'm in hospital so I would be having stern words to him. But I get people can't put their lives on hold for others but a little consideration isn't exactly hard to factor in on your dad's behalf.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband isn't impressed either and thinks I am letting it slide to easily with him. I don't think saying anything will make him change his plans as he has booked the cruise with his brother who he is flying down from the NT for it. But on the other hand I feel as though I should be honest with him in how it made me feel so that he considers family for once....it's an ongoing problem and one of the reasons Mum left only 4 years ago...so now I get to cop the self centred behaviour! Thanks Mum!