+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How would you feel?

If your Dad booked to go on a cruise the week before your due date with your second child? So now he can't help and may not even be contactable if it happens early? I am ****ed and wonder if I am being in reasonable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It would entirely depend if that grandparent was the one who I had lined up to help look after the first child... Is that the case with your dad?

If not, then it wouldn't bother me, I don't expect others to put their lives on hold for mine, even family.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course you are being reasonable. Hugs to you. That is a very inconsiderable thing to do. Don't doubt how you feel - you feel that way for a reason.

Are you two close? Could there be a reason why he did this? Or is this behaviour common for him? How long is the cruise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My dad booked a holiday to Canada the week I was due with my DD. It honestly didn't bother me! I figured he would have the rest of DD's life to meet her and he wasn't crucial to my birth plan so I was a bit 'meh' when he told me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I would be surprised. My parents and I are very close though and they are pretty much our families rock but if they wanted to get away I would begrudge them their holiday. I'm sorry you're feeling so hurt. Have you spoken to him about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly, no, I don't think you're being reasonable.

It may well depend on your family and the expectations you have of each other. If this is out of character, I can understand why it may be upsetting.

Whatever the case though, I wouldn't expect my dad to work his life around mine. No matter HOW much I might want someone to do something, they don't owe it to me. I'm not going to hold it against them if they don't expect/want the same actions as I do.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (13-10-2014),atomicmama  (13-10-2014),Best Things  (18-10-2014),BlissedOut  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I would be surprised if either of my parents did it but no it wouldn't particularly bother me (unless it'd lined them up to care for my other children while I was in hospital).

Are you particularly close to your father?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I think it all depends on the type of relationship you have with your father.

My parents watched our first child when I went into hospital to have our second, so yes I would have been pretty annoyed if they decided to book a holiday around my due date....but they wouldn't have done it as they knew we needed their help (and knew what date as I had a c section). I am very close with my parents too.

However, if mil had of booked a holiday around my due date, I wouldn't have cared as we are not close.

Is your dad aware that you may need his help when bub is born? Or are you just assuming he knew?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum went away 2 weeks before birth but she wanted to be back in time in case i needed her. i wasn't worried in the slightest. Dd came early when she was away much to my surprise.

If you had asked and agreed to be around to help then I'd be annoyed but if not then i think it is a big expectation to just assume he would be around to baby sit.

Sent from my ME371MG

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum and dad will be in Fiji for the birth of my second, and they were meant to look after dd. Doesn't really phase me too much except they are trying to guilt trip me about having another caesar rather than natural and having a chance of them being home.

Sent from my D6503 using The Bub Hub mobile app