+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As mentioned you haven't stated the disability so this may not apply. But my son is a very picky eater and I dreaded day care meals an hated seeing the board ticked 'some' which basically meant he ate none.

Over a few months though since he has learnt that there is nothing else... He has learnt to eat it... Now I see 'all' ticked and the day care staff are wide eyed with what he ate. I now have the opposite effect as my son is a really picky eater for dinner and knows I will offer fruit and yoghurt if he doesn't eat it. He actually hands it back to me and says 'yoghurt please'

It's one meal and he won't starve to death not eating it. Personally I didn't expect his daycare to offer an alternative and I agree all the kids may want what the alternative is, plus I don't think it sends the right message to the kids.

If your really not comfortable then maybe it is worth looking into daycare options where you bring your own food...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had same issue well similar.

My dd didn't eat puree only blw 'they wouldn't do that'. Even though on interview they said it's fine. They let her starve.

Left centre.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So based on your recent post I think you definitely need to put in writing to the Centre about the situation and perhaps start looking for a new child care?

I don't think he's being discriminated against. It sounds like one of two things. ..1) they don't really understand ASD and therefore aren't trying to encourage the eating or 2) they're not a great Centre and lazy when it comes to special needs kids.

Either way. .. It's not good. Perhaps when you write you could encourage them to get some professional development in understanding kids with ASD.

Plus it could be a range of things. .. From the food they prepare to eating in an unfamiliar environment. Often kids don't eat at daycare because it's not a predictable environment like it is at home. ... which can be anxiety causing. But I'm guessing you know all this.

I hope you can resolve the issue. And perhaps look into funding to have an extra carer. In my experience some day cares will go above and beyond with children who have special needs. .. And others don't. My DD's Centre always go the extra mile with my daughter. But I know others in my area really weren't interested in getting funding or supporting us with her needs. I hope you can sort it out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014),Stretched  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a early learning centre director I ensure that all children are offered food. We have a number of children with Allergies, food aversions and disabilities all are met with food/meals they will eat. Open communication with parents all the time allows us to ensure our menu is flexible and caters for all. As mentioned we have standards both through the National Quality Framework, National Regulations and Law. We also have Council requirements to ensure health and safety regulations are met. Centres are required to provide a menu which provides 50% of a children daily intake across the food groups.

Over the years we have learnt more and more about children with disabilities and how this affects their eating habits. We provide deconstructed meals that are the same/similar to what the other children are having.

In terms of the centre being short staffed they have access to inclusion support if your child has a formal diagnosis. You are within your right to request that they start the process to gain this extra support. It is of no cost to them and will benefit not only your child but the whole group of children. It makes me sad that Directors aren't accessing this support for children as too many children with disabilities are being excluded because there is 'short staffing' when there doesn't need to be. We are going backwards and the attitude is fast becoming that children with disability should not be in main****** centres/schools. I'm seeing it first hand in the attitudes of some of my parents at my service 😞.

I really hope you can talk to someone in management soon, alternatively you can contact the department of education and make a parent complaint this will be sent to their upper management/owner and then will be dealt with immediately.

I'm sorry for your experience.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mummie2B For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014),Stretched  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummie2B View Post

In terms of the centre being short staffed they have access to inclusion support if your child has a formal diagnosis. You are within your right to request that they start the process to gain this extra support. It is of no cost to them and will benefit not only your child but the whole group of children. It makes me sad that Directors aren't accessing this support for children as too many children with disabilities are being excluded because there is 'short staffing' when there doesn't need to be. We are going backwards and the attitude is fast becoming that children with disability should not be in main****** centres/schools. I'm seeing it first hand in the attitudes of some of my parents at my service 😞. .
    @Mummie2B this makes me sad. I would think we should be moving towards more acceptance... Not away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    @Mummie2B this makes me sad. I would think we should be moving towards more acceptance... Not away.

It's horrible, I have heard comments from parents about our children with ASD and I have found myself shaking my head and asking why? Their replies were that it takes away from the other children and there is too much interruption and they should be with children like them. At that point I apologised and removed myself from the conversation before I said anything I would regret. I then put out a letter stating that we are committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for ALL and therefore any negative comments should be kept for their off premise conversations.

I have been providing an extra carer in the preschool room for the last 16months without any funding as I knew it was necessary to support ALL the children in the room not only the children with higher needs.

I really hope the next generations are more accepting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummie2B For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    In terms of the centre being short staffed they have access to inclusion support if your child has a formal diagnosis. You are within your right to request that they start the process to gain this extra support. It is of no cost to them and will benefit not only your child but the whole group of children. It makes me sad that Directors aren't accessing this support for children as too many children with disabilities are being excluded because there is 'short staffing' when there doesn't need to be. We are going backwards and the attitude is fast becoming that children with disability should not be in main****** centres/schools. I'm seeing it first hand in the attitudes of some of my parents at my service ������.
    As someone training in the education sector, this makes me so sad. We are trained to deal with a wide range of diversity in students, including special needs as well as high functioning, indigenous, english as a second language. It's really unacceptable given that as a field we push integration of special needs into main****** that families are feeling such alienation and poor treatment

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    As someone training in the education sector, this makes me so sad. We are trained to deal with a wide range of diversity in students, including special needs as well as high functioning, indigenous, english as a second language. It's really unacceptable given that as a field we push integration of special needs into main****** that families are feeling such alienation and poor treatment
    After working in one centre for almost 5 years and having the most wonderful accepting families, I changed to a different centre and the attitudes were so different. It is a select group however they are all raising their own children and while inclusion and acceptance is something we are trying to teach and instil it is being undone when they hear what their parents think of the situation.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummie2B For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    After working in one centre for almost 5 years and having the most wonderful accepting families, I changed to a different centre and the attitudes were so different. It is a select group however they are all raising their own children and while inclusion and acceptance is something we are trying to teach and instil it is being undone when they hear what their parents think of the situation.
    It's really difficult to shift perceptions isn't it? Especially when they pass it down to their kids. Ironically those parents would be complaining about 'their tax dollars' if the education dept placed kids with ADHD/ASD/SPD into special schools and those kids went on be on Disability allowance the rest of their lives rather than staying main****** and believing they can be 'more' (and that's no criticism of Special Schools).
    Last edited by delirium; 15-10-2014 at 07:47.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mrs Tickle your update made me so sad! Your poor little guy It sounds like such a distressing situation for you both.

My DS is a fussy eater and needs a lot of encouragement to try new things, so I was worried about him starting daycare. So on the days he went I would load him up with as much food as he would eat in the morning before we left. Most days he would still come home hungry and thirsty though, no matter how many times I talked to them about it...I even provided his own sippy cup and it would come home untouched We've ended up taking him out of daycare altogether for different reasons (constant illness).

If it were me I would probably try to find another daycare, I just wouldn't trust that the current centre would look after him properly as they seem to have lumped him in the 'too hard basket'. Is finding another centre an option?

I'd still put in a written complaint to the current one though! Especially outlining his behaviour once you get home and what your Dr said.

Best of luck & big hugs to you and your DS x

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

19. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014)