+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our daycare offers sandwiches if the main meal isn't eaten.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014),oozzle  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd be pretty happy with my center doing this as this is our policy at home.
    But no disability here so you might have a different issue OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I just strongly disagree with the philosophy that all kids will eventually eat if the food is offered enough times. Or they will eat it if they're hungry. My kids have no sensory issues or disabilities, just strong preferences about what sort of food they really don't like.
    Agree, even adults can have very strong dislikes to food.. I'm one of a small portion of people that HATES raw tomato with a passion, not just fussy about it, but think it tastes like you're making me eat acid. I know some people have similar strong dislikes to coriander and a few others things that other people might not understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I know some people have similar strong dislikes to coriander
    Vomit weed!
    Anyway, back to the OP... I wouldn't be impressed with him not being offered just simple sandwiches only (ie not multiple choices, hot meal or sandwiches is enough).

IMO daycare shouldn't be raising your child (not *your* child OP, just in general), they shouldn't have to be the one who teaches your child a good diet ie 'like it or lump it'. Unless of course you've specifically asked that to follow on from what you are teaching at home. IMO they should be making your child's day as comfortable as possible (within reason of course).

Also how do they expect him to learn and behave if he's hungry??

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (13-10-2014),Happymum2  (13-10-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (13-10-2014),Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014),NurseAnni  (13-10-2014),rainbow road  (13-10-2014),Sonja  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The daycare my kids go to offer 4 meals ie morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, snack. The 4 meals mean there is a bit of variety so the kids will eat something. With meals like pasta the kids also get the option of plain or with sauce, for afternoon tea its fruit and some sort of bread/pastry. So I guess my point is that while they don't get offered alternative meals there is variety throughout the day. Is this not the sam as your daycare place op?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My centre was giving him a Vegemite sandwich if he refused lunch and I asked them to stop it. He refused lunch there for about 6 weeks and then started eating again. I was comfortable with that approach as it's what we do at home.

It's my choice to decide what's for dinner and his choice to decide if he wants to eat it. I don't serve him things I know he really doesn't like. But he sometimes does the thing of loving something and then saying he hates it which I am not buying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daycare usually has a couple of things for lunch (so... chicken pasta + steamed carrot). If the kids don't like one thing, there's an alternative that they can have more of. They also have morning/afternoon tea, so if they don't eat lunch then they have other opportunities to eat. If my daughter chooses not to eat all day, well that's up to her. She certainly wouldn't starve. Kids in the first world rarely go more than a few hours without eating. Missing a meal won't kill them.

That said, for your specific situation, you mentioned your son has a disability. If he has sensory issues etc., then they should NOT be passing those off. They should be accommodating his needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    An alternative should always be offered. No child, regardless of personal circumstance, should go hungry throughout the day. There are days I look in my fridge and don't like what I have to eat and I have the choice to have an alternative. I've worked in childcare for 12 years and have never let a child go hungry. What is on offer as an alternative may not be the most nutritionally beneficial i.e. crackers, cheese, fruit, a sandwich etc but it gets the job done. My DD is teething and is refusing anything but watermelon for most meals at the moment. I would be devastated if she went hungry due to not wanting to eat what is on offer.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAG242 For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014),Stretched  (15-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can see both sides, however without knowing your sons disability it's hard to give an opinion.

Both my sons go to daycare full time, they both have some foods that they genuinely don't like (ie- ds1 does not like pineapple), every few months the daycare send out the child update form and I ensure that they know what their genuine dislikes are. Generally they will offer an alternative if they know he wont eat it. But these are few and far between & if it was every lunch meal I wouldn't expect them to offer an alternative every day (bearing in mind I have no allergy, sensory or disability issues).

My boys always come home from day are starving despite eating every meal they offer & sometimes seconds!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    You mentioned your child has a disability? May I ask if it involves any sensory/eating issues?

I ask because my nearly 2 year old is in daycare. She has lots of food issues. I provide her lunch as the Centre doesn't provide food. That said... Because she has a disability the Centre gets inclusion funding which means an extra person when she is there which helps with her meal times as she needs an extra long time.
    Is this something that you could look into?
    I think it's very disappointing they aren't going the extra mile and offering something else. I would chat with this director about your concerns. Our might be just a phase of fussy eating but it would be good if they could help encourage eating a bit more.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yes I was going to mention inclusion funding too. You need to approach the director about it. My DS has just been approved for it due to his speech delay. At DS's daycare meals are provided and DS can be fussy, if he doesn't want to eat the prepared meal there is always some form of bread and a dessert that will keep him going until afternoon tea.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (15-10-2014)