+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cutting DS hair

Any tips on trimming my DSs hair?

He's got long bits at the back (nape) and around his ears. He's starting to look like a girl when he wears his hat and just in general looking girly! He gets cuts behind his ears and the long bits get stuck when they are open/or healing and I want them gone to help (he pulls the hair n it breaks the cuts open again.

I've spoken to numerous hair dressers in my area and I can't get it done for less than $16 which is outrageous in my mind for a trim!

I'm far from a hairdresser. Just wondering if it be best to cut it in the bath or when DP is holding him?
    Any tips would be great.

At least I know it will grow back quickly if it looks terrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Could you distract him with a DVD? Seems to be the way the hairdressers go about it these days.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some hairdressers do first hair cuts free..
    Have him looking at himself in the mirror they seem to like that, definitely have someone hold him cause little hands tend to wave around when scissors are around and its very foreign to little ones.. talk to him the whole time caude they do find it quite terrifying

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did tell the hairdressers it would be his first time and it really would be a 5 minute job and they still said yep $16+ I can't justify that much to trim a few bits. That's nearly as much as DP pays for his hair.
    A DVD doesn't really work for him, I've been watching a movie on my iPad near him and he just tries to grab it.
    He does love his reflection so the mirror could work. I'll try that with DP holding him. Thanks ladies I'm a little nervous but it's looking so terrible lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS is at the hairdresser I feed him sultanas one at a time to keep him still. It works pretty well to distract him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you got a hairdressing college or TAFE nearby? He could become the posterboy of trainee hairdresser styles!!! You might find that they can do a quick trim or treatment for you too. Some even offer massage!

If not, pop him in a highchair facing the telly when his favourite show is on, with some snacks or toys on the tray. Use rounded end scissors incase he turns his head quickly. You'll need a comb, damp brush and the scissors. Hold the hair between your forefinger and index finger either from the top or out to the side. This helps you avoid the 'bowl cut' look and keeps the scissor blades away from his ears.

Also, try some of the curash talc behind his ears a few times a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Que Sera View Post
    Have you got a hairdressing college or TAFE nearby? He could become the posterboy of trainee hairdresser styles!!! You might find that they can do a quick trim or treatment for you too. Some even offer massage!

If not, pop him in a highchair facing the telly when his favourite show is on, with some snacks or toys on the tray. Use rounded end scissors incase he turns his head quickly. You'll need a comb, damp brush and the scissors. Hold the hair between your forefinger and index finger either from the top or out to the side. This helps you avoid the 'bowl cut' look and keeps the scissor blades away from his ears.

Also, try some of the curash talc behind his ears a few times a day.
    We do have a tafe near us I never thought of speaking to them! I might give them a call n ask

Oh we want to avoid the bowl cut look! His dad had that when he was younger! Gotta love it haha makes me laugh!
    Thank you for the tips! I'll give it a go when his DP is home to help distract him. He loves his food so that could be a great distraction.

We've been using sudocrem (doctor said it would help) it does help but if u don't put it on every few hours it seems to start again. I'll give the curash a go.

Thank you ladies! Fingers crossed we have success without him looking weird haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SimmyN View Post
    We do have a tafe near us I never thought of speaking to them! I might give them a call n ask

Oh we want to avoid the bowl cut look! His dad had that when he was younger! Gotta love it haha makes me laugh!
    Thank you for the tips! I'll give it a go when his DP is home to help distract him. He loves his food so that could be a great distraction.

We've been using sudocrem (doctor said it would help) it does help but if u don't put it on every few hours it seems to start again. I'll give the curash a go.

Thank you ladies! Fingers crossed we have success without him looking weird haha
    You might find some youtube clips that help.

Theres always hats if he looks weird, hair grows back. Hopefully the TAFE can help you too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't think of youtube lol.

I'm just gonna bite the bullet n trim the sides lol hats will cover it lol

I will see about the tafe when we trim the rest, his hair is so long on top I could put it in a pony tail!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Que Sera  (14-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its ok, choppy cuts can be seen as a bit hipster!!!

You haven't truly lived unless you have photos of when you were a kid with a dodgy home haircut. Take pics, they make good 16th/18th/21st ammo.