+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would do it, the 4mo is still immobile and if you're bf it's easy to shove a boob in they're mouth and they're ok! If they're FF hopefully with a full tummy they're likely to sleep

Depends more on your 2yo... Is he likely to sit still and watch cartoons & sleep?

Like I said I'd do it, but we fly a lot so my kids know what to do. The first time we went though wasn't all that fun.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH recently asked me if I'd be willing to fly to Europe by myself with our three kids...who were 8, 6 and 4 at the time and I instantly had a panic attack at the sheer thought and told him he was dreaming.
    I went to visit family by myself with a 1, 3 and 5 year old and had a one hour plane trip, 30 minute bus ride, and 3 hour train ride and that was h.ell.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    You can't get people to the gate if they don't have a plane ticket.

I'm not too worried about carrying luggage around, that would be the easy part I think. More worries about the 20hrs stuck in a confined space lol

Thinking about it DS1 would be 2.5 by then if that makes any difference. I wonder if they understand by then what is going on and if you can reason with them...
    Ds2 hated it when he was 1.5-2 yrs.

Fast forward to 2.5, I told him to 'sit down like all the other big boys on the plane' and it clicked. He sat with seatbelt on for 5 hours. No complaints. Now at 3 he has a nap,,eats and watches tv

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way would I attempt that. We recently flew to Bali (about 6 hour flight) with our 4 year old and almost 2 year old. 4 year old was fine but DS was so full on. Just wanted to be moving. 4 month old would be easy I think, but a 2.5 year old on a flight that long.....no way!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for all the comments
    Yes I'm not overly worried with the 4mo. He'd be in the bassinet and breastfed so easy to manage.

Not sure about DS1 though. He is not overly active but he doesn't enjoy watching cartoons yet. He can focus on them for 10min then he is like on edge. It kind of make him worse.
    @Party of Three my SIL tells me that she finds it very easy to fly with her 3 kids now that they are 8, 6 and 4. Apparently they know what to do to keep themselves occupy and she doesn't have to do anything with them. Except meal time can be very messy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Thanks for all the comments
    Yes I'm not overly worried with the 4mo. He'd be in the bassinet and breastfed so easy to manage.

Not sure about DS1 though. He is not overly active but he doesn't enjoy watching cartoons yet. He can focus on them for 10min then he is like on edge. It kind of make him worse.
    @Party of Three my SIL tells me that she finds it very easy to fly with her 3 kids now that they are 8, 6 and 4. Apparently they know what to do to keep themselves occupy and she doesn't have to do anything with them. Except meal time can be very messy
    Yes, well I was not keen to test out their first big flight on my own, and then deal with the jet lag of all three on my own when we returned to Australia a week before him.I just don't think I'm that good a parent My kids can't go ten minutes in the car without getting bored and annoying each other. In the end DH took just the oldest with him and the rest of us stayed home. The whole trip took 30 hours and DD stayed awake the whole time. Both there and back. No thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would probably choose to fly home with your DH. It depends on personality, but 2.5 can be a tricky age when flying long haul, 3 or 3.5, no problem. If it were my DD, who is almost 2.5 now, I am imagining lots of trips to the toilet, wanting to run up and down the aisle, and all over the airport, refusing to sit in seat etc.. could be hard if you had a baby asleep in a bassinette, or if you wanted to walk to the back of the plane to settle the baby. Also, would you be prepared to leave the baby sleeping alone if you had to take your toddler to the toilet? I am thinking 2 adults could be better than one x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you organise flight timings for late night when the 2.5yr old will sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I flew to the UK with my 3 month old in August. The first part of the journey I did alone and met DH in Singapore. DS was great on the 5 hour flight I did alone but didn't sleep so it was pretty tiring trying to keep him entertained and not crying. He did sleep the majority of the longer 13 hour flight and I had DH with me so it was easier. I found check in at the airport/going through the security checks etc pretty stressful and I don't think I could have managed alone with 2 kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't comment about whether I'd do it cause I don't have children but if you do decide to try it, I have heard some airlines now have people on board that help mind/entertain children. My friend recently flew to Ireland and they had this and said it was a godsend. I would have to check the airline but I think it might have been Etihad? Best of luck whatever you decide! And enjoy your holiday!