+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 year old speach regression?

Ok so my dd1 has a major stutter, it's like the words get stuck on their way out of her mouth? Every time I bring it up to the gp he says it's normal? Now she has started have physical reactions to the stutter, she shuts her eyes and tences her body and over the last few days has also started putting her hand over her mouth!! I am soooo worried now, she went through a stage of stuttering at 2.5yo a couple months after her baby sister was born. We went on a holiday and while we were away her speach returned to normal? Is it common for stutters to come and go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Yes they can come and go.

My 3 year old had a stutter which he grew out of but he now elongates his vowels. It's another form of stuttering. I'm seeing a speech therapist for it as by 4 it can be harder to treat.

I'd make an appointment with a speech therapist if it were me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Mama of 1  (12-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thin your right, I have a list of speechies I am going to go through tomorrow! It doesn't help that the doc is tell me I am over reacting! I keep second guessing myself? Thinking it worse then it is? I am gonna make the app and hope I Am over reacting!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You may be but better to find out from a speech therapist. Make sure they know it's for a stutter as they all have different specialities.

The GP may be right as treatment of stutters has changed recently and therapists are adopting a more "wait and see" approach with young kids. But given you know there are circumstances that exacerbate it I'd get her looked at.

Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Mama of 1  (12-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could have written your post. My son is coming and going with a stutter and sometimes it's so bad he gets like you describe but then this weekend it went 90%. Who knows what's going on in their little brain. I try to relax and just let it be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a speech pathologist. Stutters can be developmental (they grow out of it) or they can be "true stutters" requiring treatment. Obviously I can't diagnose over the internet but what you've described sounds like secondary stuttering behaviours (the blinking, the tending etc) which would indicate a true stutter rather than developmental. I would definitely recommend seeing a speech pathologist. Where abouts are you? I may be able to help you track down a suitably qualified one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Beccilou For This Useful Post:

White Mage  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccilou View Post
    I am a speech pathologist. Stutters can be developmental (they grow out of it) or they can be "true stutters" requiring treatment. Obviously I can't diagnose over the internet but what you've described sounds like secondary stuttering behaviours (the blinking, the tending etc) which would indicate a true stutter rather than developmental. I would definitely recommend seeing a speech pathologist. Where abouts are you? I may be able to help you track down a suitably qualified one.
    I am in melbournes northwest, the last 2 days have been better but I have another gp app this arvo, I would love to get a recommendation!!! I don't know anyone who has seen a speech pathologist before! Thank you sooo much!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My sons can completely disappear and he's 100 perfect speech to hardly being able to get a word out. Do I need to get that looked at?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama of 1 View Post
    I am in melbournes northwest, the last 2 days have been better but I have another gp app this arvo, I would love to get a recommendation!!! I don't know anyone who has seen a speech pathologist before! Thank you sooo much!!!

So, city if Hume? Or maybe whittlesea?

Is private an option or would you prefer to go public?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    My sons can completely disappear and he's 100 perfect speech to hardly being able to get a word out. Do I need to get that looked at?
    It's really not possible to say 100% without seeing him. As a general rule of thumb, if you are concerned, then yes, get it checked out.