+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read through the whole thread (and don't want to as I know it gets nasty). I'd like to see the CS money spent on the child. At the moment the non-custodial parent has no say in what the money is spent on and no way of knowing if the money is actually being spent on raising the child. The non-custodial parent may not live in the same city, State or even country as the child so it would be useful for them to know how the (sometimes significant amount) of money is being spent. Possibly not a practical suggestion but still a nice idea I think.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

MINIRoo  (14-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Good point. Back to the original point of the thread I would like to see a system that is based on the average cost of raising a child in public schooling. Work out a weekly baskeline amount, say $150. Childcare is an extra which should be split 50-50, same as medical expenses. Each parent is responsible for half this amount. That's the cap. You don't have to pay more than this if you don't want. So yep, the custodial parent needs to pay half the cost too. If they don't work then tough, they budget and downgrade their lifestyle. If you don't work then your lifestyle reflects that. It shouldn't be the job of child support to raise your standard of living.
    That's all well and good but the size of home you need tends to be larger when you have children : example you are not going to be comfortable in your affordable 1 bedroom flat if you have numerous children, you have larger utilities bills, older children have sport, heck I used to do a 120 kms round trip Monday nights for kid 1 to go to cadets, 120kms round trip Saturday's for football for kid 3 and another 120km round trip Sunday for hockey for kid 2 after working full time each week so the boys got a sport! so yeah fuel was a large bill and don't even get me started on feeding three boys who were all over 6ft by 13 !!!!!! and keeping them in shoes, for a kid in grade 11 and 12 to get books fees and uniforms sorted it was over $1000 bucks each year per kid, Braces!!! Heck I could go on and on and on. Sometimes I think expenses around the hub are based on a little kid but news flash they grow!!!

Just pointing out a fraction of the costs that just jumped into my mind. It's a huge undertaking.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to butt into the debate for a sec - but in reply to the original post - I'd make it so you could talk with one person about your case.

I hate dealing with CS for clients. You get a different answer whenever you speak with someone. Its so frustrating.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (14-10-2014),Kelbel29  (13-10-2014),MrsBid  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonx View Post
    Can I just interrupt with a thought and ruin my peaceful nice person reputation here?

How is parenting not work????
    Parenting is work. But it's not paid and it alone doesn't put food on the table.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (13-10-2014),Kelbel29  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    Raising children isn't sitting on your **** all day,at least not in my experience and if you are a working single parent, well that's no easy gig either, daycare fees juggling sick bubs, school holidays and Christmas Holidays to survive and figure out, it's tough.

It's also good to remember that the exact same rules apply to both parents, if he has custody she is to adhere to the same percentage of CS from wages as him.
    Then why aren't both expected to provide?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

MrsBid  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokeybear View Post
    That's all well and good but the size of home you need tends to be larger when you have children : example you are not going to be comfortable in your affordable 1 bedroom flat if you have numerous children, you have larger utilities bills, older children have sport, heck I used to do a 120 kms round trip Monday nights for kid 1 to go to cadets, 120kms round trip Saturday's for football for kid 3 and another 120km round trip Sunday for hockey for kid 2 after working full time each week so the boys got a sport! so yeah fuel was a large bill and don't even get me started on feeding three boys who were all over 6ft by 13 !!!!!! and keeping them in shoes, for a kid in grade 11 and 12 to get books fees and uniforms sorted it was over $1000 bucks each year per kid, Braces!!! Heck I could go on and on and on. Sometimes I think expenses around the hub are based on a little kid but news flash they grow!!!

Just pointing out a fraction of the costs that just jumped into my mind. It's a huge undertaking.
    Good points. Under my system costs would be factored into a baseline payment and each parent would pay half.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Kelbel29  (13-10-2014),Mokeybear  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Threekids View Post
    I pay $380 a week child support for my three kids and this will increase once they turn 12. It annoys me that I pay so much because my ex can't be bothered to get a job and lives off parenting payment, child support and FTB
    I can't tell you how many women I come across (see above job description) who fully live off child support and Centrelink. It just makes me mad as I'm working full time with my DD in 50 hours of daycare and they get to spend all that time with their kids just because their ex earns big bucks. For the record I receive about $450 per month CS.

I just have to remind myself that in the long run I'm better off because I'm keeping my job skills up and contributing to my superannuation. Makes me feel a little better to look at it that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If the mum doesn't want to work, then she can explain the downgraded lifestyle to her kid. If the non custodial parent is a good parent and has extra $$ then yeah they will choose to top up things for their kid. It's a fine line between making sure the kid doesn't miss out, and making sure the non custodial parent isn't supporting a lifestyle for their ex above what the ex would lead based on their own earnings.
    If the mum wasn't working when the couple was together it was a parenting choice right?
    Mum raise kids, dad brings the money in.
    I guess the point of these CS arrangements is to support the same lifestyle for kids. Mum raising them, dad bringing in the money, even if they don't share a house/bed anymore.

If the parents can afford it, why not?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-10-2014),Lillynix  (14-10-2014),peanutmonkey  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my husbands ex lives off child support from her two kids fathers. Shes trying to get pregnant again. If Dh gets a promotion child suppose will ruin our family. Honestly I doubt our marriage and family will survive. we live in a tiny 3 bedroom house with second hand cars that are over 10 years old. we dont have a lot of stuff we dont drink or smoke but if cs take any more money from us we will go under. Essentially he is being punished for his relationship not working. One SHE ended. it sucks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good points. Under my system costs would be factored into a baseline payment and each parent would pay half.
    Laughs! We are all good then