+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    So this is total ignorance on my part but if a parent is in a relationship with a woman who has kids from a previous relationship and that relationship ends and the step parent moves out does the step parent have to contribute CS for the step child? How does that work assuming the step child spent part of the time with the other bio parent and that parent also contributes CS?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well our situation is the opposite. My stepson goes to an elite private school and gets the best of everything, they live in a massive house with 2 new fwds and he has every toy and branded clothing imaginable. Yet she is a stay at home mum and her new husband is just on a teaching wage .

We pay $400 a week in child support and that financially kills us. Our child will be going to a public school, most of his toys, furniture and clothes are second hand, our house is tiny and we have to really budget to get by week to week. We can't even afford private health insurance for our family.

His ex wife earns more on child support and family support payments than what I earn working full time. How is that fair?
    The system is not fair and should def be capped at a maximum.

I understand there are deadbeat dads that don't pay but there r also dads that go out of their way to do over and above to be financially responsible. It's not fair my children miss out on so much because he pays a ridiculous amount in cs

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelbel29 For This Useful Post:

Blue Dragon  (13-10-2014),ourbradybunch  (13-10-2014),VicPark  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC14 View Post
    My DP is a payer, we take his SD from that relationship every 2nd weekend and half the holidays just like his bio DD. While his SD is with us we clothe, feed, pay for outings etc so I think the child support for his bio DD should be minimal. Their mum receives child support from SD's bio dad however he has nothing to do with her. It doesn't sit right with me.
    So your SD is with her dad 25% of the year (every second wkd and half school holiday) and with her mum 75% of the time.
    Yet bio dad shouldn't have to pay any child support because he pays everything during his 25%?

Wouldn't be very fair!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

ourbradybunch  (13-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Kelbel29 I guess CS is not there to make it fair between ex and current partner, but more so that the kids that were there before the split keeps the same quality of life.

I understand how difficult it must be for you though and why it seems unfair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    So your SD is with her dad 25% of the year (every second wkd and half school holiday) and with her mum 75% of the time.
    Yet bio dad shouldn't have to pay any child support because he pays everything during his 25%?

Wouldn't be very fair!
    I took it that her partner was the step dad (not the bio dad), hence my question. Now I'm confused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I took it that her partner was the step dad (not the bio dad), hence my question. Now I'm confused.
    ah! yeah you are right. I have misunderstood and misread the post.
    Apologies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think she's saying that because he chooses to take both his bio dd and his sd, he shouldn't have to pay CS for his bio dd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just in case anyone is unaware of CS rates; http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...-basic-formula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I think she's saying that because he chooses to take both his bio dd and his sd, he shouldn't have to pay CS for his bio dd.
    Aah ok. Well that makes no sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBid View Post
    I think it should be case by case. I think there should be MAXIMUM payments and it should be capped after a certain amount. I think its appalling that some people have to pay over $400 a week CS but some people get away with $7. The system is bogus it seems anyone doing the right thing gets screwed and people wanting to dodge CS get away with everything
    I agree. I think it should be capped. And perhaps maintenance being paid through centrelink then vouchers or such issued or it be paid directly to the school fees or such.

We have a few friends who are dads who are doing the right thing by their kids and pay a lot of money in maintenance but are unsure where the money is really going. An example of this in one case is that the children go without hair cuts, clothing and shoes and school fees hasn't been paid. The father is paying mega bucks in maintenance but then has to fork out more. Where is his money going? It should be sufficient to cover all expenses for the children in this case.