+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default My baby wont settle for me :(

I feel like im losing my confidence & just getting upset cause I struggle to get ds to settle for me, he settles so much better for dh.

We are trying to work on the issues we are having with day sleeps but this is really hard as I struggle to settle him, especially when he's overtired & he just screams & screams until I give up & he doesnt end up going to sleep. He screams for dh too but dh always manages to settle him eventually.

I just feel like im failing him, he's barely sleeping during the day except when dh is here to put him down & I am struggling to fix that.

Like now for example, I know he's tired but he just screamed the house down when I tried to put him down for a sleep so I ended up just giving up & now we have to wait till dh gets home, by which point he'll be even more overtired.

I just wish I could settle him. Its so hard doing things without dh. And no, he wont take a dummy.

It makes me really sad that I cant do it, has anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes i have had this problem.

You have probably tried all these but these are some of my go too's when bubs won't settle.

A warm bath and gentle masage. Remembering the calmer I am the calmer they will be.

A quiet darkened room and a gentle singing or a soothing tape and a rocking chair.

Laying down on my bed with them and reading a book or making up a stroy in monotones.

A walk in the fresh air on a pram. If I can't get outside in the pram going over a bump like a rug edge over and over again in rythmn.

Gentle back patting

If it's hot laying on a cool wet cloth square nappy with a fan. Works Better than air con for a distressed bub. I have found.

Feeding to sleep.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (11-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great suggestions from anewme.
    You could also try baby wearing them in a wrap or carrier. Bubs quite often settle when they are close to mum

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mysticme For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-10-2014),Rutabaga  (12-10-2014),Starfish30  (11-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's tough, isn't it

I second either wearing in a wrap/carrier or getting out for a walk in the pram.

Do you know anyone who has a baby swing? Some babies love them, some hate them so it's worth trying one a couple of times first if you can.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-10-2014),Starfish30  (11-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticme View Post
    Great suggestions from anewme.
    You could also try baby wearing them in a wrap or carrier. Bubs quite often settle when they are close to mum
    I was going to suggest baby wearing too, for settling in the day time so he is getting some sleep in the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DD1 never settled for me.

I found it was a vicious cycle. I'd get so stressed around the time I knew she had to go to sleep that I'm sure she would pick up on that and that made it even harder for her to settle and for me to settle her. Sorry can't really help as it went on for several months until she was over 6 months and we did CC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you're having a really tough time Heartstringz. I can't say I've had the same problem but just wanted to ask whether it might be possible your bubba is sensing how stressed out you're feeling and that's causing him to get more worked up? Personally I find dd is most relaxed and calm when I'm relaxed and calm.

Also are you sticking with the techniques the sleep consultant recommended? Change can take time so if you can, give it some time.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (11-10-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is your baby heartstringz? If this were me I would be driving my baby around town just to get a nap x

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy Potato For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (11-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first 4 months with DD were AWFUL. She rarely settled, she'd get so over-tired, and scream scream scream. It was hard. I felt like if I could just figure out that one thing... but it didn't happen.

There wasn't any magical thing that did it when she started to improve. It just happened gradually. I wish now I'd just gone with it - I would have been so much less stressed. At the time though, I thought I could find some solution.

It's hard, but you're not alone. You're not failing him; you can only do so much. If he doesn't sleep, he doesn't sleep...as much as it sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first used to scream herself to sleep. Once I'd done everything and I knew she was tired all I could do was get myself comfortable and hold her. I would put some music on and sing to her until she fell asleep. My main focus was to just make sure that she wasn't left so she knew I was there for her and to remain calm so she wouldn't pick up on my stress. She would fall asleep eventually. She's almost 9 and still takes ages to wind down and drift off to sleep, so it's easy for me to look back and realise that this is just how she is wired. She rarely tells me she's tired (and wasn't great at giving me tired cues as a baby either) and she will lie awake in her bed moving around for up to an hour after she's been put in bed, no matter what time she goes to bed. Now she's older I've found the best thing to do is to let her read for a minimum of 30 minutes because it helps her to relax. She also never slept as much as other babies seemed to, and she still doesn't seem to need as much sleep as her peers.

From reading your previous posts you sound really stressed out and I'm sure that's the only difference between you and DH. He probably just stays more relaxed through the screaming than you do, which makes sense, because it's a physiological reaction to feel anxious when your baby is crying.
    Last edited by Full House; 11-10-2014 at 14:22.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (11-10-2014)