+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have astigmatism and long sightedness. I was diagnosed in grade 3 but didn't get my glasses until year 12 when my dad was threatened with Dhs. My parents had religious beliefs that they felt would cure my eye sight. Anyway. I learnt to read, recognise the world etc without them and could function quite well. It was only when I got my glasses that I realised that the world looked different. It was amazing. So I can see how kids seem fine and can read and recognise stuff because if you teach them that a shape etc is a certain thing and their eyes don't focus then they earn that the blurred shape is the letter/ thing etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not my child but me. I went to the optometrist for a base testing due to a family history of eye conditions so we could see if they were deteriorating over the years. Anyway, while I was there he asked me if I fall asleep when reading. All.the.freaking.time. But I put it down to full time uni, three kids and that when I sit down my body just goes 'oh yes, sleep time.' Turns it out it was my eyes having trouble focusing and I got glasses and the difference is amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    HI there, my DS2 was always a very quiet child as a toddler and I never noticed any issues, eg: he would be happy playing with one car or toy for hours, but one day, when he was 2, his preschool carer said he was holding his face right up a book to try to see 'the apple', which he had been asked to point to. Anyway, even though I hadn't noticed anything 'wrong', we took him to get his eyes checked. The optometrist took one look at him and knew his eyesight was not good, also one eye weaker than the other. So, at 2 years of age we found our his prescription was +11.5, which is quite severe!

The day we went to collect his first pair of glasses was amazing- he put them on and it was like turning his eyes on for the first time! It was amazing and obviously opened up his world a lot more and he started having an interest in more things, like books etc. Why hadn't I noticed?? Poor thing hadn't been able to see much at all!

He is now 6, has always loved wearing his glasses (because without them he cant see), and no problems. We have even done years of patching to try to improve the weak eye.

One tip- invest in some elastic cords that hold the glasses on- when DS2 used to play, they would constantly fall off and get broken... Also, for later on, there are swimming goggles with prescriptions in them, and also sport glasses for playing soccer and so on. I hope it all goes well for you, and that your little one like wearing glasses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Over the holidays ds1 and I had a few hours to kill in a shopping centre. He asked to have his eyes tested. So we did. He needed glasses. So I got the others tested too. Dd2 needed glasses too. Dd3 will need them in a few years they think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndtimemumma View Post
    Did your son have trouble with the tests at the optometrist? my son seemed to go ok thats why I was shocked

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    DS also went pretty well at the optometrist they showed a little animation of a dog running across the screen that DS answered all the answers correctly but he was a bit sketchy on the black and white images they showed him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They picked an issues with DS eyes in prep. We went to an optometrist who promptly told him it was bad and he would need glasses for the rest of his life. DS ran out crying. I took him to an ophthalmologist who halved the script from the optometrist, gave is proper instructions on when he needed to wear them and after two years he no longer wears his glasses. I'll never forget that first optometrist and how distressed he made DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for all the replies everyone