+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default my son needs glasses

my son who is 4 had the steps eye test at daycare and needed further assessment so we went to the optometrist and was told he has bad eye strain, astigmatism his eyes are oval in shape instead of round and je will need glasses forever.
    I have not noticed any problems at home he seems to read fine. we play a game where we sit out the front and he names the model of cars as they drive past by reading the badges. so his eyesight seems fine but the optometrist did all the tests so I should trust him
    my question is has anyone else not noticed an issue but then child needed glasses anyway?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my son recently got glasses after the steps assessment at preschool and I had never noticed anything wrong he has always been interested in books has great hand eye coordination and could colour in the lines.
    He is severely long sighted and now wears his glasses all the time. Since wearing the glasses his self confidence has dramatically improved and he will now watch tv for more than 2 mins at a time.
    I was sceptical at first when the optometrist told me about it because I hadn't noticed any problems but getting the glasses has been the best thing for DS. I struggled with some guilt for not picking it up myself but the optometrist said at 4 it is pretty hard to pick up but it would have become noticeable one he started school.DS may be able to start wearing his only for reading at about age 10 or he may have them for life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We didn't notice with DS2 - recently took him to optometrist as he missed the preschool screen day. As the optometrist took him through everything it was clear that one eye was consistently not doing as well as the other. He has the oval shape too. She said to go back in January and see how it's going and decide whether he needs glasses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter got glasses at 8 months... I was obviously skeptical, and even now she is 19 months I think she seems fine without them, she seems to do everything the same whether they are on or off.... But they said to me even though it seems that way that's not the case.

My parents didn't pick up my eyes until I was 2.5 and by that time I had a bad astigmatism, a lazy eye and severely left sighted. So in my opinion I would go with what the Optometrist says it's hard adjusting but they are not do bad ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1412938720.161833.jpg... Here we are both wearing our glasses

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (10-10-2014),Mod-Uniquey  (11-10-2014),~Marigold~  (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 year old started complaining this year that things were blurry when reading or looking at the board. I dismissed it at first as some of the kids in her year 1 class were having their follow ups and a few new ones had been referred for the school testing. So I thought she just wanted to be like her friends. I spoke to her teacher and she also had not picked up that she might need glasses. I was pretty skeptical going in to get them checked but what do you know? Near and far sighted and now has glasses for in class!

It was quite mild and they said she will probably only need them for a few years as the eyes develop, but they have made a very real diference! She was already reading above-level and doing great at school, but her reading has just come in even bigger leaps and bounds. She can read without them, but she can read faster and easier with them.

If they can make that much difference with a mild condition, I'd definitely recommend them for something more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceBsMumma View Post
    Yes my son recently got glasses after the steps assessment at preschool and I had never noticed anything wrong he has always been interested in books has great hand eye coordination and could colour in the lines.
    He is severely long sighted and now wears his glasses all the time. Since wearing the glasses his self confidence has dramatically improved and he will now watch tv for more than 2 mins at a time.
    I was sceptical at first when the optometrist told me about it because I hadn't noticed any problems but getting the glasses has been the best thing for DS. I struggled with some guilt for not picking it up myself but the optometrist said at 4 it is pretty hard to pick up but it would have become noticeable one he started school.DS may be able to start wearing his only for reading at about age 10 or he may have them for life
    Did your son have trouble with the tests at the optometrist? my son seemed to go ok thats why I was shocked

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    Here we are both wearing our glasses ;
    I have nothing meaningful to contribute, except to say that your little girl is super cute, with her glasses and hair clip perfectly accessorising the PJs! Fashionista!

Good luck to the OP and hope your little boy adjusts easily to wearing his glasses if he ends up needing them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

Nicsta83  (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter had her screening in June and I was told I needed to take her to an optometrist. We went to an optometrist who said she has astigmatism and is long sighted ( the exact same problem DH has). We were then referred to a behavioural optometrist, who deals specifically with children. Diagnosis was confirmed and she got glasses. Before this we hadn't really noticed anything strange. Looking back though she was a bit clumsy, and when I would take a photo it was always difficult to get her to look at camera. She wears glasses all day, and never had a problem with her keeping them on. She obviously knows the difference. She has12/20 vision, which means what a person can see clearly at 20metres, she would have to be 12 metres from. We recently has a three month check up, and she can read an extra line on the chart, and can now see 3d pictures. Don't feel bad that you didn't notice anything. At least now your child will get what they need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My parents never noticed anything wrong with me so I never got my eyes tested until I was 16 and my optometrist was amazed that I never knew there was anything wrong with me before. My eyes are SO bad but I thought it was normal so I never complained. I was amazed when I got my glasses and got to start really seeing stuff. So yeah, it happens :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    My 6 year old started complaining this year that things were blurry when reading or looking at the board. I dismissed it at first as some of the kids in her year 1 class were having their follow ups and a few new ones had been referred for the school testing. So I thought she just wanted to be like her friends. I spoke to her teacher and she also had not picked up that she might need glasses. I was pretty skeptical going in to get them checked but what do you know? Near and far sighted and now has glasses for in class!

It was quite mild and they said she will probably only need them for a few years as the eyes develop, but they have made a very real diference! She was already reading above-level and doing great at school, but her reading has just come in even bigger leaps and bounds. She can read without them, but she can read faster and easier with them.

If they can make that much difference with a mild condition, I'd definitely recommend them for something more.
    My experience with my DD10 was the same as this.