+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feeling a bit lost

Hi all,

Our son has been mix fed since about four days old as my milk didn't come in til day five and he had lost more than 10 per cent of his birth weight by then so we were advised to top him up with formula. Once my milk came in was bf but was feeding for hours at a time and I was losing my mind. We saw a lc and she discovered he had a severe tongue tie and advised us to book in to see a paed to get it snipped. After seeing the lc he starting refusing the breast and I was forced to start expressing and feeding that with a mixture of formula and bottle feed. He had his tongue snipped yesterday and is semi-taking the breast again (after a lot of fussing) but my supply has dropped significantly - I'm taking motillium - so he is still getting 50-60ml top ups of formula as well as bf. He was two weeks old yesterday and I feel like we've been battling feeding issues for a year already. I'm just not sure if he's getting too much formula, or if he's getting enough breast milk and how I can try and get him onto solely bf. I feel like if we can't get it sorted soon I'm going to crack. Any advice welcome!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs. So much hugs. I battled like you did, but at 8 weeks I couldn't cope any more and he became just formula fed.

I know that GoblinQueen went through similar issues with the tongue tie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    What do you want to do? I don't want that to sound harsh at all but I can give breastfeeding advice regarding difficulties, ie tongue tie, prematurity etc.. but I also want you to know that it's okay to switch to formula if that's what you want to do.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (11-10-2014),kw123  (25-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you see the lc again? I've just been through the trying to bf/pump as much as possible as well as taking motillium but it was so exhausting and emotionally draining that after a week I couldn't do it anymore. Totally different situation to you though. My bub is almost 4 months. It was the hardest decision to go to formula and I cried for days but I was losing my mind sitting on the lounge constantly feeding and pumping. With your bub being much younger though, if you want to bf I'd talk to lc for advice. I'm not much help I know, I still sometimes think I opted for the 'easy solution' although I feel I have it as much as I could to get my supply up and I physically couldn't have done more without losing my mind. It's such a shame bfing isn't easy for us all but I truly hope your supply comes back up. I was told 40 mins of stimulation (either from bub or the pump) every 3 hours.

Sent from my SM-G900F using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have struggled with supply issues with both of mine and tongue tie with my 2nd.

A great resource is to Google Dr Jack Newman, the website has another name but he's written so much detailed info to help build supply and overcome feeding issues.

To help build supply feed both sides, then switch back to side 1 and use breast compressions (shown in above reference) to ensure breast is fully drained, then same for other side. Once you have ensured both sides are drained, then offer a formula top up. As soon as baby turns away from the bottle, don't offer it again. Better to feed frequently than try to fill them up as much as possible.

You can also pump between feeds, then offer anything pumped as a top up at the next feed before offering formula. I found, with my babies feeding 2hourly at most, this wasn't very practical. It can also be a bit disheartening as what you get put pumping is not a true indicator of how much milk you have.

Many women find various natural foods/herbs boost their supply. These include oats, linseed, wheatgerm, brewers yeast, blessed thistle and fenugreek. It seems with these that everyone responds differently but they're all worth a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh OP I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. Tongue ties are bloody awful!!! Are you part of the FB support groups? They are really supportive and might be helpful to you.
    Have you got good support around you? Now is the time to really call on your village. Tell them how you feel. Ask your friends and family to bring you some meals and help as much as they can. Try to find the time to just sit and enjoy that perfect little bundle that you have made.
    If you want to keep traveling on the breastfeeding road there is heaps you can do and it does get easier but if you want to take a different path that's ok too. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    How much motilium are you on? I had to really in tease my dose until I had enough supply. Also breastfeeding support by herbs of gold worked well for me as well. (I took it at the same time as motilium). Are you drinking heaps of water? I know how hard it is, I had huge, huge issues for nearly a year with bf. it was because of a lot of different reasons, but a major one was an upper lip tie. I hope it gets sorted for you soon, and I agree if you end up going to formula don't feel guilty, it's far more important to be a happy mummy to your bub in the end

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also when I increased my motilium dose it would take a few days to kick in and show a difference (I think 3 days from memory). Lactation cookies helped a bit too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    What do you want to do? I don't want that to sound harsh at all but I can give breastfeeding advice regarding difficulties, ie tongue tie, prematurity etc.. but I also want you to know that it's okay to switch to formula if that's what you want to do.
    I don't know what I want to do, I feel guilty both ways. If I feed breast he goes hungry if I go formula I worry I'm over feeding him because he constantly seems hungry which makes me think he's compensating for the bf. my dh doesn't want to go solely formula, but he doesn't get the pain or the mind games. I just want him to feed, I would prefer if I could provide if from bf but I'm not sure im enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca85 View Post
    Can you see the lc again? I've just been through the trying to bf/pump as much as possible as well as taking motillium but it was so exhausting and emotionally draining that after a week I couldn't do it anymore. Totally different situation to you though. My bub is almost 4 months. It was the hardest decision to go to formula and I cried for days but I was losing my mind sitting on the lounge constantly feeding and pumping. With your bub being much younger though, if you want to bf I'd talk to lc for advice. I'm not much help I know, I still sometimes think I opted for the 'easy solution' although I feel I have it as much as I could to get my supply up and I physically couldn't have done more without losing my mind. It's such a shame bfing isn't easy for us all but I truly hope your supply comes back up. I was told 40 mins of stimulation (either from bub or the pump) every 3 hours.

Sent from my SM-G900F using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I've been talking with the lc constantly and she wants me to stick to the plan. Part of the issue is I'm not expressing or feeding during the night as he refuses my breast and I think I would oh nuts having to express for 40 minnutes and then feed him then try and settle him every three hours when he refuses to sleep in the bassinet - just feels like we've got so many issues