+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Yes, I have experienced similar. Bullying is rife in the nursing profession. The sad reality is that you need to grow a thick skin now or seek an alternative career.
    The worse thing I found as a student is that you have no one to turn to. You are very isolated when it comes to such incidents. Teaching staff won't step in because they don't want to tarnish the relationship with hospital and potentially void the possibility of future placements occurring. The nursing staff/hospital staff don't care because you are just a student, you will only be there for a relatively short period of time and then will no longer be a problem.

It's awful what goes on and the extent to which it goes on. Personally I couldn't hack it. It drove me to a depressive state and I had to drop out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    ^^Yep this. I got out of the hospital system after 2 stressful years and am much happier in community. Students, grads and ENs get eaten alive. Please tell your facilitator. Hope that the rest of the week goes better. Jump the hoops and hang in there 😊

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (10-10-2014)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippytoes View Post
    ^^Yep this. I got out of the hospital system after 2 stressful years and am much happier in community. Students, grads and ENs get eaten alive. Please tell your facilitator. Hope that the rest of the week goes better. Jump the hoops and hang in there 😊
    Can I ask what you mean by "much happier in community"? I want to train in nursing but work in community, so I'm interested to know what you mean

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP you absolutely must tell your facilitator.
    I very strongly disagree that this is just something you have to get used to if you want to be a nurse. Document and report it and then spend a bit of time reflecting on it. It will take you about 3 seconds to see that this is a reflection on this doctor and it has nothing to do with you. You are capable and educated. You are also caring and strong and this ******* can not take that from you!
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Definately report it. I am only an AIN and for the past few weeks everyday either at work or home,i have had tears from bullying that is happening at work towards me. I have only just reported it and swapped some of my shifts around to avoid it as much as possible coz i can barely cope at work currently.

You are a student still learning. Dont let anyone ever treat you like that.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

NurseAnni is offline Winner 2014 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    Definately report it. I am only an AIN and for the past few weeks everyday either at work or home,i have had tears from bullying that is happening at work towards me. I have only just reported it and swapped some of my shifts around to avoid it as much as possible coz i can barely cope at work currently.

You are a student still learning. Dont let anyone ever treat you like that.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I just need to add.. You are not JUST an AIN.... regardless of what letters follow the 'n' it still means 'nurse'
    Also OP please report this... You never know who else might be copping his c.rap but not speaking up. Reporting is the first step. good luck in your placements

Sent from my GT-S6102 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NurseAnni For This Useful Post:

Jodes35  (11-10-2014),MummyBic  (11-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Can I ask what you mean by "much happier in community"? I want to train in nursing but work in community, so I'm interested to know what you mean
    GP 😊. Love it. Not as good pay but worth it. Great team and a lot of variety. Plus awesome hours 😊

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippytoes View Post
    GP ������. Love it. Not as good pay but worth it. Great team and a lot of variety. Plus awesome hours ������
    So that's nursing practice then? thanks for your reply and sorry if we're derailing your thread @zuelianaq

Thanks
    Reviews
    I disagree with the belief you have to grow a thick skin in a bully culture. The more we speak out against this criminal behavior, then we succeedcin crushing it. Quite frankly, that doctor sounds mentally unbalanced.

Report it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also don't think you should HAVE to grow a thick skin, however that is actually the reality of it.

It's not right and you absolutely should talk to your facilitator about what happened. It was really extreme.

However, if you are so inclined you can look at it as a great learning experience. You can't change the way the doctor acts, but you can change the way you respond to it.

I am not a nurse but have worked in the hospital system. At first I was very shy. You get eaten alive. Now, I would have said to that doctor "of course I don't know this yet, I am still a student nurse. Why don't you tell me about it." Then I wouldn't let it worry me.

You have to try really hard not to take things personally because you will always have people take things out on you - usually patients who might be in pain, have dementia or delirium, drug and alcohol dependence or just be cranky human beings.

In high pressure emergency situations you will have people yell at you, or snap at you. There isn't any time for hand-holding or pleasantries. It's not personal, it's just sometimes human nature in high-pressure situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he's a great doctor he would be honouring his nurses not speaking to them like pieces of crap!

Make a complaint or you will hate your job and not want to learn. 💕