+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Toilet training when out and about

So far TT is going quite well after 2 weeks but in that time we have been at home and DS has had 3 days at daycare. Went out for a couple of hours to playgroup yesterday which was fine as there are toilets there but I'm worried about doing our regular activities like going to the park. We go to a park with a bike track so I take his balance bike and scooter and the toilets are quite a way away from the area. I can put him in pull-ups for the time there but if he tells me he needs to go I don't want to tell him to just do it in the pull up because that defeats the purpose. I don't think we'd reach the toilet in time. How do I manage this if he needs to go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

We bought DD a BabyU Potette Plus Portable Potty. They are available from baby stores, Toys r Us, etc.

It folds down when not in use. Legs flip out and push in for a potty-style use and one just puts a bag in it, then tie up and throw in bin when done. Can also use on an adult toilet seat by the legs going out sideways.

The bags are about 60cents each which is fine for normal use. When we were travelling recently we bought a roll of small bags from the plastic bag section of the supermarket and some good absorbent towel and it worked the same and averaged out at 16 cents each.

With boys though, it's not too long before they are doing their bush wees!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just made sure he went before we went out if I knew there were no toilets or a long drive - I kept a potty in the back of the car for those times we were at a toilet free park as sure enough that's when he needed to go or yes I've let him go in the bushes ( away from anyone!) if he's busting and can't wait - I found after the first month or two he learnt how to hang on or just routinely knew to go before we left the house

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is amazing how long their bladders can last when they go before they leave the house. DD amazed us in when she was TTing at the start with a pull-up on and it was still dry after a few hours out. But the same didn't work for DS1 - he would be lazy and wee in it so we had to do just undies with him. Mainly did a pull up with DD for a few weeks due to newborn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just took him out to the shops with a pull-up on and he still told me that he needed to go. Pull-up was still dry when we got home and he went twice while out (about 2.5hrs)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he's just drunk a decent amount of water before leaving then that is probably quite feasible to go twice. Grab a potty for the back of the car - DD sits on the potette in the back of our car and there's usually a bin nearby. Then when he starts standing up the parents' rooms tend to have shorter toilets that are great for boys - you just have to teach them not to lean against the bowl!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a pull up on won't make him want to go less. It's just something that saves parents cleaning up a mess in the early days whilst getting into the habit of using the loo instead of doing it in their nappy. Useful if the child doesn't get there fast enough or easily recognise the feeling yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Having a pull up on won't make him want to go less. It's just something that saves parents cleaning up a mess in the early days whilst getting into the habit of using the loo instead of doing it in their nappy. Useful if the child doesn't get there fast enough or easily recognise the feeling yet.
    Yeah I know, just meant that he still told me he needed to go even though he had one on which is good. He is going about once an hour at home now so twice in that time is about right for him. Better than every 15 min like the first few days. I'm expecting that it will get longer in due time. I have a potty in the car already and a foldup toddler seat for the toilet for when there are no small loos. Just still not sure what to do when the loos and car are too far away to get there in a hurry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We find a tree or I get him to pee on the tyre of the car if we are down town. Not ideal but it won't be forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Yeah I know, just meant that he still told me he needed to go even though he had one on which is good. He is going about once an hour at home now so twice in that time is about right for him. Better than every 15 min like the first few days. I'm expecting that it will get longer in due time. I have a potty in the car already and a foldup toddler seat for the toilet for when there are no small loos. Just still not sure what to do when the loos and car are too far away to get there in a hurry.
    Might have to do bush wee sooner or just plan not to be too far away for a few more weeks.