+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodes35 View Post
    You might need to have a word to your local council. She does have a responsibility to take care of her animals.

You know what will happen if your puppies hurt them? There'll be a 'those staffies hurt my cats' uproar. Don't get me wrong, I love love love staffies. They are beautiful but horrible people give them a bad name. People use that to their advantage, I've seen it happen. If she laughs off her cats misbehaving, she's the type of person to play the staffy card.

7 cats is an awful lot of cats. Is she a breeder or something?
    She is a owner who doesnt desex and lets her cats have kittens consistently from what ive heard. She has at least 2 pregnant girls now and one in season.

The number doesnt bother me IF you are responsible about it. I own 6 and foster a couple BUT they are all clean and all indoors. You wouldn't know they were here.

Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    You could try using citronella and spraying in your yard. Or a product that discourages them from toileting.

Most councils here have restrictions on how many cats you can have without a permit (usually 2-3). Maybe you should check if your council has some similar? Its impossible to control where outdoor cats go.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    No restrictions where i am sadly. Im not looking to control where they go i just dont want a dead cat on my hands. I dont trust this woman she is nosy and a troublemaker. We've even found her snooping around our backyard after we moved in. I dont trust her not to hurt my dogs.
    Last edited by MummaCat; 10-10-2014 at 09:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a similar issue at my last place, but with responsible owners. The neighbour over the back had chickens and on two occasions, a chicken got in our yard. Unfortunately we weren't home the first time and our dog killed it. They were pretty good about it though, apologised (as did we), put an extra barrier on the fence and clipped all the remaining chickens wings. Fully accepted it was their fault. Second time I was 38 weeks pregnant with DS1 and I saw the movement and heard the noise of the chicken. I bolted outside and just managed to grab my dog (a large lab x) as he bit the tail feathers. I dragged him inside and went searching. Found the chook still alive and unhurt, hiding down the side of my shed so I popped it back over the fence. Once again they jumped into action to try and prevent it happening. Pets are the responsibility of the owners!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

MummaCat  (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    She is a owner who doesnt desex and lets her cats have kittens consistently from what ive heard. She has at least 2 pregnant girls now and one in season.
    Holy sh*t. You'd have them spraying and stuff. That's bordering on cruelty. Maybe call the RSPCA instead.

I'm a rescue cat owner and my ginger ninja is inside also. Good on you for rescuing kitty's, it's a nice thing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wouldn't she need a breeders license?
    What state are you in OP?
    Pretty sure they need to be de-sexed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Liddybugs View Post
    I would have a chat to your local council.
    Is there a limit with cats? Can someone legally have 7?
    I'm just taking a guess, but I wonder if she also has all 7 cats registered.
    I would be giving council a call for sure.

I've had staffies, they hate cats, I can understand the worry.

I'm in QLD but I do know you can't have cats out at night, so if they are roaming at night that's another thing to mention to council.

You could also just say to your neighbor that you have had some issues with stray tom cats coming into your yard destroying the garden.
    So you are putting some humane cat traps in and any cats caught will be taken to the pound.
    (You can get cat traps from council too)
    That might make her keep a closer eye on them.

Also if she is renting, contact the real estate she goes through.
    I wish NSW had the same laws -.-

Cats can wander at night here its advised they be locked up but not a requirement.
    Its illegal here to just trap and hand into pound. Not that really stops anyone. Id also have huge issues considering my rescue group would be dragged through the mud for that. But as a bluff it may work.
    I doubt they are even chipped let alone registered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodes35 View Post
    Holy sh*t. You'd have them spraying and stuff. That's bordering on cruelty. Maybe call the RSPCA instead.

I'm a rescue cat owner and my ginger ninja is inside also. Good on you for rescuing kitty's, it's a nice thing to do.
    Wouldn't she need a breeders license?
    What state are you in OP?
    Pretty sure they need to be de-sexed.
    Having dealt with cases like this before i know RSPCA wouldnt do anything. NSW branches are useless.

NSW, no licenses or desexing requirements here either.

Lol its all a bit frustrating that those who SHOULD be helping never do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaCat For This Useful Post:

Renn  (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read all responses, but that sounds really stressful!

We used to have cats in our backyard, but thankfully none were silly enough to hang around when we got our dog. She kills mice, rats, sick/baby birds... she'd happily have a cat if she got the chance.

My thoughts would be express my concerns to the neighbour...maybe offer to help if she'd like to increase fences/install an outdoor enclosure or anything.

If that doesn't result in anything, and you're willing to potentially deal with the conflict, you could go to the council and/or animal welfare services like RSPCA. I'm not sure whether they could do much, but she's neglecting the welfare of her animals. They might be able to have a word with her.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish NSW had the same laws -.-

Cats can wander at night here its advised they be locked up but not a requirement.
    Its illegal here to just trap and hand into pound. Not that really stops anyone. Id also have huge issues considering my rescue group would be dragged through the mud for that. But as a bluff it may work.
    I doubt they are even chipped let alone registered.
    Yeah, I was more thinking the trap as a bluff.

If they aren't registered then council will do something about that.

I agree with above poster who said to contact RSPCA.
    The cats will just keep breeding and it won't stop

Could you also ask some other neighbors if they are having the same issue and would help in making a complaint or call to the RSPCA.
    It is irresponsible pet ownership.

ETA: just seen what you said about RSPCA.
    I would still call council.
    You can get cat deterrent sprays, I think some plants also are deterrents.
    But this is all costly to you.
    Make sure you keep a diary and receipts of anything you spend.
    If she dose start the "dangerous dog killed my innocent kitty" revolution at least you have some prof of trying to stop it.
    She would be a silly to do that though if the cats aren't registered, how would council even know your dogs attacked HER cats and they weren't just stray, if they aren't registered or chipped the council have no way of knowing who actually owns the cat and that she did own one to start with.
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 10-10-2014 at 09:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be devastated if it happened. It happened once before and i bawled. I felt like it was my fault and the owner just went oh ok no worries and walked away. I was left to deal with their dead cat! So he got a burial with all our lost rescues. Yeh yeh i know; weird.

Being home everyday now and will have a newborn the last thing i want to find is my dogs attacking a cat or even a dead cat they already "played" with. And i guess im super worried about neighbours reaction given ill be home alone also.

I spose its all a bridge i have to cross when and if it happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I was more thinking the trap as a bluff.

If they aren't registered then council will do something about that.

I agree with above poster who said to contact RSPCA.
    The cats will just keep breeding and it won't stop

Could you also ask some other neighbors if they are having the same issue and would help in making a complaint or call to the RSPCA.
    It is irresponsible pet ownership.
    Neighbours are definitely having a problem too but are elderly and she has apparently already threatened them and flown off the handle so im not sure they would. Worth a try though.