+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mater Public - length of stay

Hi all, does anyone know how long the Mater Public (Brisbane) lets you stay in hospital once you have had your baby?

I love the idea of the Maters Midwife Group Practice but read they send you home after four hours which just seems super quick to me.

I know it is a personal decision but I am not super woman by any means and will need some time to recoup before heading back home! Maybe by the time we have our second baby (this is our first) I will feel more confident.

Appreciate any info you have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

I had my first at the Mater Public and if she hadn't of pooped just before birth we would have gone home that afternoon she was born at 7.09am. I did ask my midwife while pregnant what the standard was as didn't want to stay in hospital and they said it varies depending on situation but it can be 24-48 hours if non complicated birth. With the MGP they come to visit you at home for the first three days once you are there.

That was 2010 so don't know if it has changed at all?

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You don't have to go home after 4hrs, it's an option there if you want it. Length of stay for a vaginal birth is 72hrs (maximum) for a straightforward birth and 96hrs for a c/section. You can go home within this time frame if you want. If you don't get into the group practice you will get followed up at home by home care midwives, but only if you're discharged within the above time frame. If it's your first they will generally be more amenable to you staying until your time is up, but if it's subsequent baby they tend to discharge a bit earlier (a lot of women want this). The bonus with group practice is that they follow you up for the first 6 weeks post baby, which is why they promote the very early discharge - as your midwife can come and see you at home daily if you need it. If you want MGP book in ASAP so you don't miss out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I had my DD on a Friday and went home on a Monday. The offered an extra day too. I had a vaginal birth however I did have slight complications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency c-section after 14hrs induced labor (first baby). I also had a reaction to anesthetic and they had me out of there less than 48hrs after I gave birth. My husband is still convinced that it was an admin error! It seemed so fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I had both my babies at the public MMH, the second one through the MGP. They do say you can leave after 4 hours but that is only recommended if you have an uncomplicated, straight forward birth and are happy to go home at that time. I ended up staying for 2 nights with my second baby because I had complications after the birth (PPH).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks team, really appreciate your feedback!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    That's disgusting. The midwives shouldn't have allowed that!
    Happened to my friend too, who had an 11 pounder !!! Of course she got an infection and had to be readmitted to different ward few days later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Happened to my friend too, who had an 11 pounder !!! Of course she got an infection and had to be readmitted to different ward few days later
    Your poor friend! That's horrible. I actually healed really well after I got home luckily. Still, I probably should have had a much longer stay than I did. I stayed 5 nights with my second baby (different hospital), which was another c-sect unfortunately but a much less complicated delivery than the first!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    24hrs is the standard for a straightforward birth. They have to churn patients out to reach their 10k + babies a year target :/