+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Frances Perry, St Vincent & Epworth East melb.

Can someone share recent experiences in each of the private hospitals above? Can't decide which one. Looking at service, facilities, support, car parking, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I loooved frances perry! Great facilities with the added reassurance of being at the womens and also the childrens just down the road!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved St Vincent's the first time 4 years ago but not my most recent time 7 weeks ago. I loved my OB and the midwives were mostly all great but the room I was in made me quite miserable.

It was renovated beautifully but I could hear the constant beeping at the nurses station all day and all night which drove me mad, and I could hear street noise all night outside my window which looked out onto the little street that runs between the public and private hospitals. One early morning I woke to the sounds of a loud swearing drunk/drug affected man on the street. Charming!

Their interior lighting is bad too. The downlights in the room flicker when you dim them (very irritating and they're too bright for bub's eyes when not dimmed).

I also felt unsupported in my decision to give my baby formula top up feeds, despite having in my pre-admission info that I intended to switch to formula feeding after giving bub colostrom. It was my 2nd baby so I knew what I wanted to do but one particular young (childless) midwife rolled her eyes and sighed every time she learned that I'd given a top up feed. Every time she left the room I burst into tears. I couldn't wait to go home after that.

I got the impression that perhaps the midwives would get in trouble if a patient switched over to formula "on their watch".

The food was great though and the delivery suite experience was great too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do we need to share the rooms with another person?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a great experience at St V last year. So much that I can't wait to go back next year

For me it was either St V or Epworth because they are the closest hospital.
    Epworth was out of the running as soon as they mentioned that you might end up sharing a room on your first night. No thanks!

Good points at St V are the rooms, very large, hotel like, beautiful view on the city. Food is good and you can choose at what time you want it serve.
    Midwives were all very good, only one annoyed me but I guess you can't get along with everyone?
    Labour suit was quite large too and I had my own shower with nice hot water (incredible relief in labour!). They were very supportive with my birth choice and the labour MW even had a few tears when my baby boy was born. We felt a great connection to the staff.

There is also a LC that works there and will come see you if you ask for it (highly recommend her!). You can go back for free to see her for the first year of your baby. They'll book you in for the day or half a day and the LC will check how bub feeds and give you tips. That's invaluable IMO.

I loved their prenatal classes too. Loved that there was one quite early on (around 3-4 months pregnancy) about healthy eating, exercising etc during pregnancy. Yummy food at all the classes and you get to meet future new parents.

This time around I hope I'll get to stay at Park Hyatt, however I might ask to stay at the maternity so they can keep an eye on bub while I catch up on sleep. They have a night settling room for newborns and bring back bub to you for a feed. They encourage baby and mum rooming in but understand that some exhausted mum needs a sleep.

I'd consider going to FPH if it wasn't that far from where I leave (being in a car while in labour is hell lol) as I think they have bathtub in labour suits? However I read somewhere that the water couldn't be very hot for safety reasons so not sure how it would help with pain.
    @lemonpancakes did you ask for another room? I would have been so disappointed to have such a noisy room.
    That's also what I loved about St V, it was so quiet even with a full ward, I could not hear other bubs even at night.
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 10-10-2014 at 08:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ExcuseMyFrench that's so good you had a quiet room. The room I had with my first baby was beautiful.

I didn't ask to be moved because every night they kept saying we'd be moved to the park Hyatt in the morning but then every morning they'd cancel that because bub had a slightly raised temperature, which is fair enough and I preferred being in hospital for his sake. If I knew we'd never get to the Hyatt though I'd have asked to move.

I loved being able to use the night nursery though.

So OP if you go to St V's just make sure you don't get my room near the nurses station and lifts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for the information. Just wondering if the rooms are all private rooms where you do not share with anyone. Anyone can shed some info on Frances Perry?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As I mentioned, Epworth has some sharing rooms (so where you share with another lady) but St V only has private rooms (no sharing).

Don't know about FPH.

Might be worth giving them a call

Thanks
    Reviews
    Frances perry has single rooms as far as I am aware. All modern. I was in a room with a single bed for 2 nights with hubby on a pullout sofa bed. On the 3rd night we were moved to a room with a double bed for the rest of our stay. Food was great and plenty of it too. Staff amazing from midwifes to the cleaning ladies. They have a lactation room were they have pumps and one on one help with establishing breastfeeding. My milk was delayed and was rather upset but they were all there to support me. Nappies are all provided, huggies at the time I was there. Oh and birthing room is amazing, super huge with fit balls, bath, tv etc. I had a cesarean in the end.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Tinkers; 10-10-2014 at 10:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been to both:
    Baby1 - Epworth (my own room)
    Baby2 - Frances Perry (my own room)

To be honest I loved them both.

Frances Perry had the added bonus of the breast feeding room with a LC in there most of the time. So if I needed help with breastfeeding, I could go in there for help.