+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler sleeping alot

Hi ladies. My boy is almost 14 months and for the last couple of months has been sleeping alot!

He wakes around 6.30 and has brekky. He whinges from the moment he gets up no matter what I try to do with him, like he is still tired...By 8-8.30 his eyes are hanging out of his head so I put him to bed where he sleeps for about 3 hours+. He is extemely busy when he wakes up, we always go out to an activity or play date or shops etc. he will then have another nap for around 1.5hrs + in arvo. Will wake up and spend a few hours playing in yard etc. dinner, shower, bottle and play and bed at 7pm.

He eats extremely well, fruit, veges, eggs, sandwiches, meat.

Just have had a few comments of 'wow that's alot of sleep'. He seems to need it though as he goes straight to sleep once put in his cot and I just let him sleep as long as he needs (unless we have to be somewhere at a particular time).

Should I just enjoy him being a good sleeper? He was a reflux baby and terrible day sleeper for first
    6months so for him to be such a good sleeper now is amazing. I'm not concerned that he is unwell etc as he has a great diet and very active when awake and reaching all milestones. But sometimes feel he sleeps most the day away. And I know I shouldn't compare, but he seems to sleep alot more than his little friends... Not sure what I'm after really...just some reassurance that its ok?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My now almost 4 year old was the exact same...nothing wrong at all ...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe he's just going through some developmental milestones right now - sleeping is good for them! My DD is 13months and she gets up at around 8am and then goes down for her nap around 11 (although if we are doing something it might be later). I find she actually gets tired around 10am but when I give her a snack she suddenly brightens up again. She sleeps for maybe 2hrs max and then has lunch. Second snack time is around 3.30 - again when she seems to be getting tired and a bit grumbly. We used to put her down for a nap at this point but it made bedtime far too late and horrendous. Now she just stays up till dinner then we start her bedtime routine at 6 for bed at 7. She could definitely have more naps if I put her down for them but her morning and afternoon snack seem to keep her going. She sleeps through at night.

When she was born up until about the age of 6/7months she would sleep for the majority of the day. She could barely manage 1hour of awake time in a stint and it wasn't unusual for her to only be awake for maybe 5hours in 24. We had lots of tests done (due to her anaemia at birth etc) but everything came back clear. She was just a sleepy baby. I reckon just enjoy the peace at the moment because it could all change very quickly!

If you are really concerned then maybe speak to your MCHN or GP and they can refer you to a paediatrician if they think it's a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your toddler sounds like my son who hardly slept for the first 6-8 months after he was born and then suddenly took to sleep like a fish takes to water! My suggestion to you would be just not to worry as long as he's active and eating properly. Make the most out of the fact and get some beauty sleep yourself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, will enjoy it while it lasts.