+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Invitation for parents of children aged 2 to 8: Help us improve Parenting Programs!

Dear Parent,

My name is Melissa Harrison. I am a Registered Psychologist enrolled in a Doctorate of Clinical Psychology Program at Charles Sturt University. I would like to thank you for considering to participate in my research. I am investigating the influence of parent variables on approaches to discipline, particularly in relation to the disciplining of 2 to 8 year olds. In agreeing to participate, you will be contributing to research aimed at improving the design, delivery and targeting of parenting programs.

The survey will take 20-30 minutes to complete (so grab yourself a cuppa!) – but there is no time limit. The survey includes some demographic questions and four brief questionnaires. The first questionnaire concerns the way people think and act in different situations, the second relates to different ways or styles of dealing with child behaviour problems, the third asks you to make hypothetical choices about your preferences for smaller amounts of cash now versus larger amounts later, and the final questionnaire asks you your views on the most effective ways to manage a variety of parenting problems.

Participation in this study is completely voluntary, and as a researcher I am obliged to protect your confidentiality: Only my supervisor Associate Professor Dr Graham Tyson and I will have access to the surveys, and as they are entirely anonymous, we will not know who has completed each one. All information will be stored in a locked filing cabinet for five years after the project’s completion, after which time it will be shredded.

We do not foresee there being any risk to you in participating in this study. However, if the process makes you feel vulnerable or upset, you can contact one of the following for support: Lifeline (132 132), or the Australian Psychological Society’s Psychologist Referral Service (1800 333 497).

NOTE: Charles Sturt University’s Ethics in Human Research Committee has approved this project. If you have any complaints or reservations about the ethical conduct of this project, you may contact the Committee through the Executive Officer:

The Executive Officer
    Arts Faculty Human Ethics Committee
    Charles Sturt University
    Boorooma St
    Wagga Wagga, NSW 2678
    Phone: (02) 6338 4388
    Email: artsfhec @ csu.edu.au (please remove the spaces if you wish to contact)
    Any issues you raise will be treated in confidence and investigated fully, and you will be informed of the outcome.

If you are willing to participate in this research, please follow the link below. It will take you to a more detailed information sheet and the survey. Please also feel free to forward this email to your friends, family members, or other individuals who you feel may wish to participate.

Please continue ONLY if you are aged 18 years or over, and the parent of a child(ren) aged 2 to 8 years.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8WPXRNT
    (please copy and paste this link to your browser)

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact either myself (melissajharrison @ bigpond.com) (please remove the spaces if you wish to contact me), or my supervisor (Dr Graham Tyson on gtyson @ csu.edu.au) (please remove the spaces if you wish to contact).

Thank you very much for your time!

Kind regards

MELISSA HARRISON (BBSc, BSocSci(Psych)(Hons), DPsych(Clin)Cand., MAPS)
    Email: melissajharrison@bigpond.com
    Last edited by Melissa Harrison; 08-10-2014 at 23:04.