+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What changed since you left sleep school and your dd was going well until now when things have gone pear shaped?

Have you stopped doing some things you were doing in sleep school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    Sorry, no advice on the sleeping issue, just a tonne of sympathy. I'm sure you would rather 12 hours sleep than sympathy though!

Can you call the sleep school for advice? Given she responded well initially, maybe the technique just needs some tweaking to get sleep back on track.

Hopefully the check up goes well and it's something temporary, like a molar tooth pushing through, so sleep is back on track in no time.
    I hope it's something temporary too! I'm going to also call sleep school today and see what they think. And try to refrain myself from begging to return lol.

She only recently went through more teething too, but that doesn't mean she isn't having a quick second lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What changed since you left sleep school and your dd was going well until now when things have gone pear shaped?

Have you stopped doing some things you were doing in sleep school?
    No, nothing's changed. That's what totally baffled me. It's almost like she sees through the settling techniques and is out smarting me.

Maybe I should take it right back to the start and handle her as I did when we first started the process at sleep school

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you go with the ear check?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    How did you go with the ear check?
    Ears are both ok. I was relieved to find this out, although it didn't solve our reason for bad sleeping. Thanks for your concern

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about pushing her cot up right alongside ur bed? Does she have a comfort bear to sleep with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by alexis243 View Post
    No, nothing's changed. That's what totally baffled me. It's almost like she sees through the settling techniques and is out smarting me.

Maybe I should take it right back to the start and handle her as I did when we first started the process at sleep school
    How does that differ from what you are doing now? Are you doing things the same as sleep school or are you giving in a little here and there? (Holding hands etc)

What time does your tot wake in the morning and what time are you putting bub down for the day nap?

If medical issues have been cleared, and sleeps are being tried at the 'right' times then Im a believer in tough love. A few nights or week of pain for ing term gain ... As opposed to another year of screaming and crappy sleep...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

alexis243  (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexis243 View Post
    I don't know if this is a vent or a desperate plea for help and ideas..

My 11mo DD has always been a bad sleeper.
    She went to sleep school last month and came back with great results.

Unfortunately the past 2 weeks she's waking hourly SCREAMING her lungs out. It's ****ing horrible, excuse me, but it is.
    Real angry screaming/crying. Won't settle unless she's hugging my hand. If she falls asleep and I take my hand away, it's literally minutes before it starts again.

DH just told me he is at his wits end, feels like he's going to snap. He's at work all day And all he ever sees if DD is this. We are both sleep deprived, and at a loss what to do. We need help.

Please, please be mindful of being judgemental if you comment, I'm really worn down right now..
    Ok I could've written this literally word for word.
    My DD went through this at 11 months and I almost lost my mind. What we did to get us through was hubby slept in spare room and I had her cot side-carred to our bed. That way I could reach through the bars at night and hold her hand to settle her. In the hours between her bedtime and mine I would hold her hand to get her to sleep and then once she was asleep I would stay there for about 5 more mins just very gradually removing my hand. That way if she woke and wasn't holding my hand I could immediately shhh her so she knew I was still there - seemed to trick her into being calm enough to settle when I did creep out if she woke.
    She has a monkey that she cuddles at night as well so I tried to make sure her monkey was between her hand and mine to get her to focus more on cuddling him than my arm.
    We also stopped letting her have her second nap and pushed back her first nap (which we managed to get sorted through sleep school - it was nights that remained our biggest issue) so she was exhausted by bedtime which meant she went straight to sleep. After a couple of weeks she started waking later in the morning and having a longer midday sleep which means she wasn't so tired in the afternoon/evening. She stopped the screaming nonsense around 12months. All of a sudden she just didn't need me there anymore. She's 13months now and I can pop her down awake and walk out.

Another thing that really helped was having the same bedroom routine for bedtime as we had for nap time. (Room lights off and corridor light on with door open while she had her bf then just quietly chatting to her and giving her a kiss before putting down - before we did all lights off at bedtime routine and silence but I figured if she was fine without me at naps I could try making it seem like it was a nap lol)