+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I need help, this needs to stop!

I don't know if this is a vent or a desperate plea for help and ideas..

My 11mo DD has always been a bad sleeper.
    She went to sleep school last month and came back with great results.

Unfortunately the past 2 weeks she's waking hourly SCREAMING her lungs out. It's ****ing horrible, excuse me, but it is.
    Real angry screaming/crying. Won't settle unless she's hugging my hand. If she falls asleep and I take my hand away, it's literally minutes before it starts again.

DH just told me he is at his wits end, feels like he's going to snap. He's at work all day And all he ever sees if DD is this. We are both sleep deprived, and at a loss what to do. We need help.

Please, please be mindful of being judgemental if you comment, I'm really worn down right now..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have a lot. .. If any advice. But I've been there. Still there actually as my daughter has a sleep disorder.
    It's exhausting and you just want to scream 'go the f to sleep! !!!'

DD is hysterical for me regularly for hours on end. I guess I just want to say big hugs. I feel your pain. You're not alone.
    I'm not sure any of the things I do to get some relief are helpful. But one thing I do which is crazy is when it goes on and on. ..I put In the night garden/cloud babies shows on a little dvd player near her cot. She can't reach it. It calms her down and I get a breather. It's crazy and I wouldn't really recommend it. ... But hey. .. whatever works. Often my dd will watch. .. Calm down. ... And then I can retry putting her to sleep or sometimes she falls asleep watching it!
    It's my last ditch effort usually.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds exhausting for all of you!

My first thought was that maybe she has teeth on the move. They can hurt for a while before they appear. DS is always really unsettled when he is teething and he screams rather than cries. Have you tried Panadol and Nurofen?

My other thought was whether she sleeps in a cot or with you. DS is generally a cot sleeper, but on a few occasions when I've been at my wits' end I've resorted to putting him in with me. Sometimes it does the trick and settles him (when he wants to be close to me), other times it unfortunately seems to do the opposite.

I hope someone can help you and it gets better for you all soon! Sleep deprivation is horrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alexis - so sorry you are having a rough time of it. It sounds as though you are all really tired and it would be terribly frustrating.

A friend of mine has had terrible trouble getting her twins to sleep and to date they have not slept through.

Have you changed her diet at all. My friend has been told to cut out salicylate foods. She said it has made a huge difference. I provide a link with reference to the foods. http://www.everydaywithadhd.com.au/u...food_chart.pdf

I really feel for you. In the meantime perhaps send hubby to the spare room and even if you have to have your little one in a portacot wit you for a few nights so you can all get some well deserved sleep.

Wishing you all the very best. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Have you had her ears checked? And I mean properly (not just visually)? My son used to wake screaming like he had seen the dead at all hours of the night and we discovered he had glue ears. Poor kid was in agony.

Ask your GP to do an ear examination with a special instrument (sorry I can't remember what it's called) as that's what it took to diagnose my son. Once he had had a couple of courses of antibiotics he was a different kid.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Have you had her ears checked? And I mean properly (not just visually)? My son used to wake screaming like he had seen the dead at all hours of the night and we discovered he had glue ears. Poor kid was in agony.

Ask your GP to do an ear examination with a special instrument (sorry I can't remember what it's called) as that's what it took to diagnose my son.
    A tympanometer? These measure how the ear drum responds to changes in air pressure. If there is fluid in the middle ear, it changes how well the ear drum bounces back sounds to the machine.

An otoscope is the light and magnifying glass that is used to look down the ear canal for changes to the ear drum. If there is fluid in the middle ear, the doctor might see a change in the shape or colour of ear drum, perhaps fluid or bubbles behind the ear drum.
    Last edited by clbj; 09-10-2014 at 00:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for replies and kind words!
    I'm thinking to call her paed tomorrow and see what he can suggest/check ears etc.

I finally got her to sleep.. But she's in my bed. I'm debating wether or not to pop her back into her cot now because I won't sleep a wink worrying about her in my bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    A tympanometer? These measure how the ear drum responds to changes in air pressure. If there is fluid in the middle ear, it changes how well the ear drum bounces back sounds to the machine.

An otoscope is the light and magnifying glass that is used to look down the ear canal for changes to the ear drum. If there is fluid in the middle ear, the doctor might see a change in the shape or colour of ear drum, perhaps fluid or bubbles behind the ear drum.
    Yes that's it. The tympanometer. Not every gp has one but even though ours does I still had to insist they use it with DS. His ear infection couldn't be seen with the otoscope.

Good luck. Sleep deprivation is the pits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, no advice on the sleeping issue, just a tonne of sympathy. I'm sure you would rather 12 hours sleep than sympathy though!

Can you call the sleep school for advice? Given she responded well initially, maybe the technique just needs some tweaking to get sleep back on track.

Hopefully the check up goes well and it's something temporary, like a molar tooth pushing through, so sleep is back on track in no time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely get her ears checked, DS has unfortunately had a few ear infections over winter and he just screams when laying down. Pre-mix (steroid) helps him so much, it reduces the inflammation and let's everything drain out.

Also, have a feel around her gums to see if she reacts when you push on any of them. They might not be cutting yet, but teeth can be a real bother when they start shifting up. If it's teeth then nurofen or panadol at bedtime should help.

Also, does she have a comfort toy? Both of mine by that age had a small cuddly toy to grab onto. I only suggest it because she wants your hand.

In the meantime, Google for into on safe co-sleeping. I'm really not a fan of it as I like my space when I'm sleeping, but when bubba is not well sometimes nothing works but mummy cuddles.