+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default HELP - 1 week old rolling on side during sleep

Apologies I've just realised that I posted this in the introductions section. I'm Gareth, a newbie to the forum and parenting. Meant to introduce myself before asking for help.

Hi,I'm new to parenting and posting here, so bear with me. My wife and I are very concerned about SIDs (read - my smarter, better half is freaking out), because our 1 week old baby boy is turning on his side in his sleep.We have an AngelCare sleep monitor, that should alert us if he stops breathing (though not convinced its 100% reliable) and swaddling doesn't seem to deter the wee man from rolling over.We've spoken to the midwife, who said we had to put him on his back. Which is fine but wholly impractical unless we watch him round the clock. I don't want to use sleep wedges as this is against SIDs advice.Anyone else experienced this problem and more importantly have a safe solution.

#Worrieddad
    Last edited by GarethL; 08-10-2014 at 18:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Swaddle and then tuck in super tight with a blanket or sheet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our son did this until we saw a cranial osteopath that specialized in pediatrics, SUPER gentle! I was seeing her for breastfeeding problems because he wouldn't open his mouth wide enough. The thought is that since he had a ventouse (vacuum) assisted delivery that he kind of had whiplash. After one session he stopped going to the side and started sleeping flat on his back and his arms and shoulders were less tense as well making it easier to put clothes on him! Could be worth looking into.

Did he have an assisted delivery?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for that VicPark, will try it out.

Can't use a large blanket with the AngelCare monitor though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GarethL View Post
    Thank you for that VicPark, will try it out.

Can't use a large blanket with the AngelCare monitor though.
    As long as it's not tucked underneath the bassinet/cot you'll be fine. Oh on a side note I have an Angelcare monitor. It's great but the temperature it gives you is usually off by 1-2 degrees, I use a gro-egg instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post

Nope, all natural (well aside from the epidural).

Thanks for the insight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Righto, giving that a try :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Our son did this until we saw a cranial osteopath that specialized in pediatrics, SUPER gentle! I was seeing her for breastfeeding problems because he wouldn't open his mouth wide enough. The thought is that since he had a ventouse (vacuum) assisted delivery that he kind of had whiplash. After one session he stopped going to the side and started sleeping flat on his back and his arms and shoulders were less tense as well making it easier to put clothes on him! Could be worth looking into.

Sorry off topic but did the osteo help with opening his mouth? My dd doesn't open her mouth wide enough.