+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Expecting NewBorn in 3 weeks and have a 13 month old.....sleeping question

Hi,
    I just have a question-I am due for baby number 2 in 3 weeks....and am just wondering-My 13 month old cosleeps with me and is so attached to me.....just wondering how I will cope if new born is in the same room-hubby works nightshift aswell so he sleeps in another room so he can get some rest!
    I cant put my 13 month in the cot because he rolls over-even yesterday I left him for just one minute and when back in the room and found him face down sleeping on the bed----scared the daylights out of me.... he hugs me to go to sleep-he sleeps pretty well-about 10 hours through the night but am just panicking wondering what I can do so not to distrube too much his sleep patterns whilst not getting sleep myself from newborn and trying to get them use to each other. Even if I get up to go to bathroom he wakes up.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Many toddlers sleep face down, and I believe that a 13 month old would roll themselves if needed so long as they are not obstructed by pillows, excessive bedding etc. If all babies that learnt to roll couldn't be left to sleep by themselves, no one would ever sleep!

You might find this useful: http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-conten...pdates-web.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Once they can roll/sit up etc it's perfectly fine for them to sleep face down! I even had this conversation direct with sids 4 kids on the phone when I was asking about sheepskin use after 12 months of age. I would transition him now if the cot will be easier - you're almost out of time before baby arrives. But I have read that a lot of kids aren't bothered by new siblings crying etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 13 months and she's been sleeping face down since 5months :-/ scared the hell out of me at first but she could roll etc so she's fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    but how do they breathe if they are sleeping on their stomach???? with their head down not on the side ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Once kids can roll both ways i think its pretty safe to let them sleep however they find comfy, certainly by 13mths theres no need to be trying to make them sleep on their backs.

My DS is 18mths and his preferred position since 8mtha when i stopped wrapping him is on his belly with his head wedged in the corner of the cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 12 month old son sleeps wedged into the side of his cot with his face in his snuggly blanket. Somehow he breathes through that!

I would be trying to break your 13mo of the co-sleeping ASAP -- you said 'if' the newborn is in the room with you, but that's actually a SIDS recommendation - much more of a safety concern than your toddler rolling.

Good luck - I'm currently pregnant with #2 and trying to get my head around sharing my attention with a new baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2nd was a tummy sleeper too. Just make sure his cot has no pillows or big soft toys.

Both of mine were soothed to sleep (eg. Feed, rock etc) until 12 months. Then both started fussing at bedtime around then, so I put them down in their cot awake, 5 minutes of grizzling/sooking later and voila, sound asleep. It's like they were ready. You can always give it a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could also get a breathing monitor for the cot if you're really worried

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub sleeps face down a lot. That is why sleeping in a cot on a firm surface is safer than soft mattresses. If you look from the side, you will notice when they are face down, their nostrils are still wide open and exposed to the air. In a very soft mattress I guess their face could smoosh in, but in a cot without loose blankets etc I wouldn't be worried. My 13 mth old DD loves sleeping face down.