+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnancy in Australia

Hi ladies,

I can't believe I am here. 6 weeks ago a fertility doctor said I was virtually infertile, I had a FSH of 22, an AMH of 1.6, virtually no chance of conceiving naturally and only slightly higher with IVF, which she likened to 'throwing money away' as my chances of success were so low. We were doing one round of IVF anyway just to try. It is all paid for, and the meds are sitting in my fridge, waiting for AF to get here so I could start. Based on a 28 day cycle AF should have been here yesterday. But aside from last month which it was 2 days late, it has been coming between 21-25 days since January.

So on Monday morning I thought I'd do a pregnancy test for the hell of it, fully expecting a BFN. I nearly collapsed from shock when I got a BFP. I have since done another 3 tests including a digital and a first response and they're all BFPs. I'm going to have a blood test today at my fertility clinic to confirm. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, my question is, what is the process for pregnancy in Australia? I was living in the UK when I had my son. Do you get 2 scans or just 1? In the UK you meet with a midwife around 10 weeks to book in, and then first scan around 12 weeks....is it the same here?

Also is maternity leave 12 months with 18 weeks at minimum wage? Or am I reading it wrong?

Thanks for any help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Congratulations! What a wonderful surprise!

You should have a dating scan, then your 12 week scan and then your 20 week scan.

With the paid parental leave from centrelink, if you fit the criteria you could eligible for the 18 weeks pay.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    First step is to see your GP and get your pregnancy confirmed and get a referral to your local (public) hospital. If you'd prefer to see a private midwife or private obstetrician (not free and sometimes less birthing options) you can but you still need a referral from GP. I assume it's a bit different for each hospital but I went publicly and got 2 free scans (~12 and 20 weeks). My booking in appointment (first appointment with a midwife) wasn't until about 14 weeks (sometimes they are earlier than this) but I had a scan and lots of paperwork before then and any concerns I would've gone to GP. I also chose to have an early/dating scan which wasn't free and GP referred me for. The paperwork explained the care and birthing options which for me was birth Centre, midwife team or public obstetrician/midwives. I chose birth Centre so I could have a water birth and continuity of Care both antenatally and postnatally. Each hospital will have a different system and different options. Medicare will pay for Birth etc (at public hospital) but there might be some out of pocket fees depending on where you get scans done (might not be done at your hospital) and if you want extra tests. If you don't have Medicare you might have to go privately I'm not sure.

Anyway first step is to see GP. Good luck.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi! I'm also from the UK but had my only child in Australia.

We hired a pubic midwife who we did shared care with (instead of a GP) and were booked into the local public hospital.

You'll notice that in Aus going private is really normal. I never saw the need to hire an OB for a low risk pregnancy so saved myself thousands! Each to their own though. For some the money is worth it just to use the private hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Mmumm; 08-10-2014 at 14:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone, I really can't believe I am having this conversation, I'm still in shock. My blood test came back great, definitely pregnancy, I'm having an early scan at the start of November through the fertility clinic and then I'm in the normal system.
    Yep, I have Medicare, I'm actually Australian but it went travelling in the UK I when I was 21 and ended up staying 14 years and marrying a pom and had a son there.
    We don't have private health but I know quite a few people here who have babies in the public system and all was fine, plus we had our son on the NHS in the UK and the care was impeccable, I'm sure it will be the same here.

I have one more question if that's okay. Time off for scans or midwife appointments and everything...do you have to use annual leave/sick leave or is it (like in the UK) given to you as paid leave purely for the fact it is a pregnancy related appointment, and neither sick leave or holidays have to be used.

Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats!

You use sick leave here for your appointments. I just had to find that out a few weeks ago for one of our staff as she is also from the UK and wasn't sure (and neither was I!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Congrats!

You use sick leave here for your appointments. I just had to find that out a few weeks ago for one of our staff as she is also from the UK and wasn't sure (and neither was I!)
    This is incorrect. Sick leave (personal /carers leave) is to be used when you're incapable of being at work due to personal illness or caring for an immediate family member. The reason for the leave would typically be unexpected. So a pregnancy related illness like severe morning sickness or high blood pressure would be ok to use personal / carers leave, but you would need to use annual leave for a scheduled check-up with your midwife or Doctor.

Many employers allow staff to use personal /carers leave for scheduled check ups but they don't have to as it doesn't fit into the definition of personal / carers leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will possibly depend on your workplace. I didn't use leave for appointments but I work right next to the hospital so I just tried to schedule them for before or after work.

I also forgot to say that I got 14 weeks maternity leave paid at my regular salary on top of the Government PPL but alot of employers don't offer any paid leave. Everyone is entitled to 52 weeks of unpaid leave and you can then apply to extend that for another 52 weeks unpaid so 2 years total. I'm pretty sure that goes for everyone but best to confirm with your employer.

I know 4 people that have had low AMH scores and got pregnant naturally!

Don't worry about going public. I had private health insurance and chose not to use it, as for me there was more choice publicly, better continuity of Care and less risk of interventions using public midwives than private obstetrician. I luckily didn't have to share a room postnatally though as I was at the Birth centre. I've heard some public hospitals have private rooms now though.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    This is incorrect. Sick leave (personal /carers leave) is to be used when you're incapable of being at work due to personal illness or caring for an immediate family member. The reason for the leave would typically be unexpected. So a pregnancy related illness like severe morning sickness or high blood pressure would be ok to use personal / carers leave, but you would need to use annual leave for a scheduled check-up with your midwife or Doctor.

Many employers allow staff to use personal /carers leave for scheduled check ups but they don't have to as it doesn't fit into the definition of personal / carers leave.
    Oh, is that right? Well there you go, I didn't know that. We're very relaxed about whether people use sick leave or holiday leave at our work for anything like that (and usually if it's a few hours off we just don't bother deducting anything)

I actually read something about it on the fair work site, but maybe I misunderstood it.