+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breast feeding and dummies

So background, DS1 is 19.5 months old and had a very successful BF relationship with no supply issues ever. Only weaned about 4-5 weeks ago. He never had a dummy. Didn't try it until he was about 4 weeks and he wasn't interested so I never pushed it.

DS2 just arrived 5 days ago and life is a little different to say the least!! I'm going with the constant feeding at the moment but can see that him feeding for what feels like 19 hours a day (probably not to much of a stretch at the moment!) will not be feasible with a toddler to run around with/after. I will wear bub but have never been able to feed either in a stretchy, ring sling or ssc.

So today I had to tend to DS1 and DS2 was fussing and wanting to suck so I ended up grabbing a dummy to see if it would satisfy him, and it worked an absolute treat!

So now I have a dilemma of do I go with the dummy? Do I try hold out for another week or so so that I've had two weeks to establish supply or can I just ensure I continue to feed frequently and figure that if he's satisfied with a dummy then he's not actually hungry just wanting some comfort. Or do I persist and hope he settles down.

My milk seems to be well in with no issues so far. Infact yesterday I weighed DS on day 5 and he was only 40g off his birth weight of 4.14kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've never waited. The 2 of my kids who had dummies had them from birth with no impact on supply.

Congratulations!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

shani2  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All 3 of mine who were bf had a dummy from birth. I never had any issues with supply. The only one I couldn't bf (I think she had a tt but went undiagnosed) is the only one who didn't have a dummy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

shani2  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - thank you
    I know that they definitely can interfere with breastfeeding, but I got one very early on with my second child without issue. My daughter was very much like your baby and just wanted to suck all the time. I didn't have any supply issues at all, but I tend to have a heap of milk in general. You could always see how it goes and if you run into troubles then back off the dummy? I say do what works, especially when you are contending with two little people!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tickle For This Useful Post:

shani2  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    5 out 6 of mine had a dummy from birth. It never affected my supply.
    Oh the one that didn't just wouldn't take one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

shani2  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If I were you I would try and hold out until 6 weeks when your supply is really established. Until then bub may need to suck all day unfortunately. Then again I am biased against dummies due to the negative impacts they have on sleep.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

shani2  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I never waited and neither of my dummy babes had any issues - DS1 fed until he was nearly three. My last bub just never took one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

shani2  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If I were you I would try and hold out until 6 weeks when your supply is really established. Until then bub may need to suck all day unfortunately. Then again I am biased against dummies due to the negative impacts they have on sleep.
    I was always very against them for there sleep association to, but something's gotta give and I figure I could wean off it earlier rather than later if it proves to be an issue with overnight wakings.

Oh and so far I've had a grand total of 5 hours sleep from DS that hasn't been on me in the past 5 days despite hours of feed, put in the bassinet, wake instantly, wanting to suck again so feed and repeat. That went on for 4 hours last night before I gave up and let him sleep on me. And if it could help with that, I'd much rather the negative association of a dummy than co-sleeping which id rather not do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. That has been really reassuring to hear your experience.

I'll wait till DH is free and check with him that he doesn't have a problem with it then go from there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (07-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    I was always very against them for there sleep association to, but something's gotta give and I figure I could wean off it earlier rather than later if it proves to be an issue with overnight wakings.

Oh and so far I've had a grand total of 5 hours sleep from DS that hasn't been on me in the past 5 days despite hours of feed, put in the bassinet, wake instantly, wanting to suck again so feed and repeat. That went on for 4 hours last night before I gave up and let him sleep on me. And if it could help with that, I'd much rather the negative association of a dummy than co-sleeping which id rather not do.
    Bubs wanting lots of feeds and cuddles in the first few weeks is normal. It sucks but it's normal. Can your hubby help out with the toddler/cuddle bub to give you a break? Is there a relative that could come and help you out?

Those early days suck dogs pineapples xx