+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toilet Training - what is it really like?

What are the first few days of TT really like? We tried with 3yo DD over the weekend but she kept wetting herself, she didn't seem to realise she needed to go until it was happening. She'd tell us straight away and knows all about the toilet. We have had a few random wees in the toilet recently hence the attempt at TT. She shows lots of interest and can take her clothes off herself so the skills are there.

Is it normal for it to start like this or will they at least do a couple of wees in the toilet if they're actually ready to TT?

We're putting it off for a couple of weeks again as we just a had a death in the family and need to go interstate for the funeral in a few days. Once we're home we'll start TT properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We did toilet training a lot different to other people. We left it until DS said he wanted to do it. We did not push the issue at all.
    He was 3.3 years when he said he wanted to use the toilet (not potty) and that's what he has done every since. He has never had an accident, ever.
    I believe waiting until the child is 100% ready is the trick.
    I will be doing the same with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are just starting an intensive program through a disability provider for my nearly 3yo DD.

Every half hour we put her on the potty/toilet.
    We increased her fluids and she drinks in between every wee.
    The first day she had 4 accidents which she helped clean up with us to understand the process and difference between wet and dry.
    We also ask her to perform "dry pant checks" in between toilet visits, and give loads of praise when she answers they are dry!
    That afternoon- no accidents, weed on toilet most if not all tries.

Yesterday, stayed in the same knickers all day. No accidents. Did wee and poos in potty.

Today. No accidents so far.
    We've been advised to keep to the 30 mins over the next few days as DD is not recognising the need to go by herself as yet, she will though. We are told to draw out the time we take her to the toilet and drop back on hinting, so she can build up some confidence and facilitate more independence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So it sounds like they get it pretty quickly. DD wants to sit on the toilet all the time and asks for undies but it hasn't eventuated into actually using the toilet yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2.5yos were both very interested in it...for whatever reason. I didn't expect to start so early, I had been thinking around3 would be a good age, but they knew what they wanted to do? Its been a few months now and they generally tell me whatever they want to do unless they get distracted and I think forget about recognising what it feels like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with pp that waiting til they are ready makes the whole process much easier and faster. I tried DS in April and he was not ready at all. We have been TT for nearly 2 weeks (3yrs1mth) now and not having any wee accidents now. The first few days he either had an accident or went on the potty every 15-20min. Now he is going about 1-1.5 hr between wees. Still having some poo accidents but some in the toilet/potty as well. My advise when you start is to clear your schedule for at least 4 days and just stay home and do nothing much else but TT, also be well prepared. If using the toilet only make sure you have a toddler seat and a step that is high enough for her feet to rest on. I'm giving DS stamps on his hand and up his arm when he does poo on the toilet/potty. I'm using both as my lounge is a long way from the toilet but DS prefers the toilet.
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 07-10-2014 at 17:05.