+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default TMI-- Change 7 week old bowel movements

Hey Ladies... Just after some advice until we go to the Dr this morning....

Up until yesterday my 7 week (nearly 8 weeks) DD was really unsettled, not having good naps through the day and waking every 3 hours at night. She has been totally FF since day 2.
    I had her on Karicare the normal one and we had terrible trouble with wind and constipation so 2 weeks ago I changed her formula to NAN Comfort. Her wind eased a little and she started pooing every day - every 2nd day.
    Over the weekend her tummy pains got quite bad she was extremely unsettled, not sleeping and crying with pain. I was infacol however that stopped working so it was suggested I try Brauers Colic Relief which has been a life saver.
    Yesterday after a bottle DD projectile vomited the whole lot up, then slept on and off for 2 hours, woke up had a full bottle she was awake for about an hour then slept for 4.5 hours. at 7 last night she had a bath, bottle and bed woke at midnight hungry had her bottle however while she was feeding she pooed and it sounded explosive, it was runny, yellow and mucusy.. She doesnt seem "sick" such no temp, no pain... She was up again at 5am had about 40mls of her bottle and vomited, about an hour later had another 60mls and has passed 2 of the same bowel movements. They are vile smelling. As I said though she isn't sick as such. She is going down a lot easier than normal and seems really placid, happy to sit and look around.
    Could it be that the formula isn't agreeing with her or would she have reacted earlier? Or perhaps a delayed reaction the her needles last week? Sorry for the long post... Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mucous in the poo could possibly mean she's not tolerating the formula too well. My DD had a cows milk protein & soy protein intolerance as a baby and her poo started showing signs at about the 7 week mark. Hers were green with lots of mucous. She also had horrible reflux and wasn't gaining much weight so there were other indicators. She went on Neocate at 3 months which was a miracle cure for us.

Our paed suggested Karicare Allerpro for DS just in case he ended up with intolerances too but so far he's fully breastfed with no signs of any issues.

While it's probably not ideal to keep switching formula it might be worth a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for replying, my DS was lactose intolerant as a baby (he is now 15 and fine) I had him on a soy formula until 12 months then on to cows milk. His intolerance showed in eczema.
    We are off to the dr this morning so I'll see what he says.
    Im not keen on constantly changing formulas however I guess at the end of the day its trial and error. Whats confusing me is she is so settled,seems quite content, is sleeping well now and isn't showing any other signs of being sick except for the pooing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with @Cue. My son had cow milk protein allergy and he had teaspoons of mucous in his poo. He was mostly breastfed so it was the protein going through breastmilk. He was diagnosed at 16 months -ish by skin prick testas I couldn't get him into straight cows milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And be careful with soy. Very similar to cmp and allergy develops easily. Allergies run in families.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've just switched our 7 week old to lactose free karicare because his poo has always been watery and lately, mucousy. Our paediatrician said to try it for a while to let his gut heal. He hasn't been putting on much weight so I assume the lactose is upsetting his gut and stopping him absorbing nutrients.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So I think it was the Brauers colic relief, as soon as I stopped using it she started to get a bit better. I am taking her back to the dr next week for this reflux. Poor little luv, its so cruel the reflux.. thanks for all your help and suggestions

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC14 View Post
    So I think it was the Brauers colic relief, as soon as I stopped using it she started to get a bit better. I am taking her back to the dr next week for this reflux. Poor little luv, its so cruel the reflux.. thanks for all your help and suggestions

Apparently 50% of reflux is due to cow milk protein allergy! My heart goes out to you. My second bub has reflux. I'm cutting out my dairy as it goes through breastmilk. It's made a BIG difference. It's not fun especially if they are unsettled/very sensitive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsPRSH View Post
    Apparently 50% of reflux is due to cow milk protein allergy! My heart goes out to you. My second bub has reflux. I'm cutting out my dairy as it goes through breastmilk. It's made a BIG difference. It's not fun especially if they are unsettled/very sensitive!
    I'll definitely be going through it all with the dr on monday. I went to the chemist and they gave us infant gaviscon which had helped a little however shes only projectile vomited once there was a whole lot there! And is now starving the poor little muffin.. its awful not being able to fix it!
    Hope the cutting out of the dairy helps your little one

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

MrsPRSH  (10-10-2014)