+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby so distractable when feeding

Now that my baby is getting older he has become so distractable when feeding & im actually really struggling to feed him

At first he'll feed well for 10 minutes or so, but then he'll start pulling off, gazing at me, wanting to play, looking around etc. Half the time he pulls away he takes my nipple with him

Ive tried using a feeding cover or muslin, but then he just looks at the shadows from the fabric & grabs it & pulls it etc

He will have the small feed then start being really distracted & fussy & regardless of what I do he absolutely refuses to have any more food. So I assume he is finished so I put him down to get food, do something else, try & leave the house etc, then 5-10 minutes later he starts wanting more I dont know how im meant to manage that, especially at 4am when I want to go back to bed

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Welcome to the club! I can only feed in a dark/dim quiet room now, can't even watch TV anymore or have a noise that may draw his attention. Luckily he's cute and feeds fast now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess ill have to try that

How do you manage it when you are at other people's houses, out in public etc? Out of the house there often isnt a quiet dark space to feed him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He's on more of a routine now so I usually feed him at home before we go out. If we're not home then I go into another room (friends' houses) or try to find a quiet corner someplace but usually just give up after a minute if he keeps pushing off.

Eta: if I know we'll be stuck in a situation where I won't be able to try to feed him (public transport or car) then I make sure I have a little bottle of expressed milk with me.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 07-10-2014 at 06:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks ill have to figure something out for when im out & about on weekends. He wont take a bottle from me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd has hit the same stage. I bought a brightly coloured feeding necklace at a baby expo a couple of weeks ago and am wearing that when I'm out so she has something to look at while she feeds. It seems to be reducing the amount she's pulling off and looking around. At home I'm just going with the flow and letting her take her time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He's probably getting most of what he needs in that first 10mins. Are you sure he's hungry when he cries shortly after a feed?

I really feel for you, I've been reading a lot of your posts as I've struggled a bit with breastfeeding too. It seems like you are finding feeding so stressful. Honestly, if breastfeeding isn't working for you it's ok to stop. There are so many reasons why it doesn't always work, and it's so not worth having an unhappy and overwhelmed mum.

I can almost feel your stress and anxiety through your posts, I wish I could give you a magic answer to all your questions so you could relax and enjoy it (I wish I could give myself that answer too!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being distractible and pulling off is do frustrating (but totally normal). I used to just feed in a quiet dark room where possible. I found DS started feeding more during the night as he wasn't getting as much during the day . They do grow out of it though. A necklace as a PP suggested could work well too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes a feeding necklace can help, I used one for a little while until he got over being distracted all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS will only take a bottle from me (or his dad) if he's hungry. If he's not hungry enough he won't take it and I just don't worry.

He plays with my nursing singlet strap a lot if I don't have anything else on and he can grab it. Mostly just a quiet room is what I do though, he's definitely finished by 10 minutes.