+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a prep teacher I can say I haven't seen any whole class parties! The kids generally bring in their invites and then pop them in the chair bags of the students they will be inviting. There has never been an issue in class with 'hurt feelings' and I've never had a parent mention it to me either. I think the school is just being a bit precious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    OP, I agree that it is not within the schools rights to request you to invite the whole class to the party. I would agree with Sonya - perhaps what they mean is that you should only hand out invites publicly/ in front of other children at kindy when the whole class is invited? You also mentioned that there are only 14 children in the class - I would wonder if perhaps there were a lot of parties happening where, say, 12 kids were invited, and 2 missed out each time (and probably the same 2)... which is a bit mean if it is done publicly. So I would wonder if maybe they were requesting not to invite 12 or 13 kids and leave the same 1 or two out of things each time? Maybe the school just havent communicated this well? At Uni, I was taught that if you have a child with special needs in your class, you should try to help the other parents include that child. Including educating the other parents about that child's special needs, and asking if they would consider inviting that child to birthdays, etc. Imagine if you had a child with Autism, say, and there was a class of 14 and your child was the only one not invited to the parties each time - you could see how that would be hurtful. However, I'm not saying that's what is happening - just trying to find an explanation of why the school would request to invite everyone. It certainly is an unusual request, not something I've ever heard from a school before, and I don't think they have any right to dictate how you plan the birthdays.
    That one child for years was my nephew who was autistic. He was the only kid not invited for 2 years running. Broke my sister's heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (05-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's just ridiculous. Kids need to learn that they don't always get what they want and they don't get invited to parties if they are not nice to people.

My son is too little for this issue but when he is old enough for birthday parties I will only be inviting kids who he is actually friends with. No way would I invite a whole class. As an adult I wouldn't invite every single one of my coworkers to my birthday party. That's just silly. As far as I'm concerned parties are for friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Well I'll be the odd one out and yep - in kindy both my kids had their whole class come to their birthdays. We go to a small school and my kids are friends with everyone in their class so it's never been an issue. As they've gotten bigger it's been more girls only and then it's all the girls in the class or if it's a sleepover then it's two friends maximum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Yeah we have whole of class parties in kindy and prep. It's not expected but my kids are still forming friendships (as am I with the parents). DD2 will probably have one for year 1 as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was one of those kids never invited to school parties when we moved to Australia twenty years ago. It really hurt when I saw/heard all about these events I was never called to. Found out years later it was because no one was sure what food an Indian would eat at a party... Or if we could speak enough English to participate in the games... and lastly cos I wasn't invited the previous year so why should this year be different??? I mean surely they could ask my parents or my teacher?

I would probably invite the friendship circle my kids are in but if the school had a policy about whole class parties I would abide by it.