+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do order off the kids menus...but we eat out a decent amount and know who has decent kids menus and who is willing to make something a bit more decent at a kids price for us. We know this because my oldest has allergies which means she can't have all that deep fried crap anyway. Sometimes the younger two have the deep fried crap, and sometimes we get them something much better than deep fried crap. It all depends on how long it was since they last got the deep fried crap, and how well they've eaten that week.
    Heaps of places around here now have steak and vegies on the kids menu, or a bolognaise.
    The best kids menu I've seen was this one (I've copied and pasted). The meals were huge and my kids loved their meals. We actually told the owner how impressed we were with their kids menu.

Chicken nuggets, sweet potato chips and salad 12.00
    Roasted chicken supreme, roasted chat potatoes and steamed vegetables 12.00
    Sweet potato gnocchi, speck, oregano and bocconcini 12.00
    Grilled fish, sweet potato chips and salad 12.00
    Creamy garlic prawn risotto

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    We do order off the kids menus...but we eat out a decent amount and know who has decent kids menus and who is willing to make something a bit more decent at a kids price for us. We know this because my oldest has allergies which means she can't have all that deep fried crap anyway. Sometimes the younger two have the deep fried crap, and sometimes we get them something much better than deep fried crap. It all depends on how long it was since they last got the deep fried crap, and how well they've eaten that week.
    Heaps of places around here now have steak and vegies on the kids menu, or a bolognaise.
    The best kids menu I've seen was this one (I've copied and pasted). The meals were huge and my kids loved their meals. We actually told the owner how impressed we were with their kids menu.

Chicken nuggets, sweet potato chips and salad 12.00
    Roasted chicken supreme, roasted chat potatoes and steamed vegetables 12.00
    Sweet potato gnocchi, speck, oregano and bocconcini 12.00
    Grilled fish, sweet potato chips and salad 12.00
    Creamy garlic prawn risotto

I would eat off that kids menu!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I don't serve my kids fried nuggets or chips at home, so on the rare occasion that we do eat out, I don't mind if Ds1&2 share a plate of that. I usually order one plate and then they share.
    I know it's not the best kids option and more should be offered, but I'm not sure why people are so disgusted in this option. If you are serving your kids lots of vegetables, fruits and grilled meats every other day, isn't ok for your kids to have a treat of some chips and nuggets on the odd occasion?

Also if it's a lunch outing, I'll make sure they'll have a bowl of veggie soup that evening for dinner.
    I think it depends on the kid.

For me personally, my DS is only 1 and I just think that's too little to be eating a whole meal of deep fried stuff. The other issue for us is that he hardly eats anything as it is and seems to have a pretty small appetite, so I prefer what he eats to be healthy.
    Also, when he does eat chips, he LOVES them and will gobble them down much faster than any other food we give him and inevitably he won't eat anything at his next meal because it's just not as good as the chips he had for lunch

The other issue for us is that we eat out fairly often (we have a big family and someone is always having a birthday) so it wouldn't be just an occasional treat if we ordered chips for him every time we went out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't order a kids meal, my kids are happiest with hot chips, so I will often order a bowl of chips for them to share, and then will give them a bit of 'real' food off of my plates. It's usually heaps cheaper for them to eat chips, and it's their favourite part of the meal anyway, lol. They don't eat fried foods often and eat heaps of veggies, meat, etc. at home, so I'm happy to give them what they want at a restaurant... especially when it's the cheapest thing on the menu. We don't eat out as a family often, so it is an occasional treat for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    For people that say they order an entree, what sort of things do you order?
    My boys will happily eat a soup of the day, garlic prawns (one of them will anyway!), trio of dips, spring rolls, chicken skewers..

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is only 1 but I don't see us changing to ordering a kids meal any time soon. As it is we order what we want and then order a side of steamed veges and/or chips.
    DS will happily sit there munching on part of my schnitzel or steak or DFs lasagne or spag bol(what we usually order) and has veges and chips on the side. Or he'll eat my salad as I don't like a lot of the salads restaurants make where as DS and DF love it so will 'fight' over my salad lol
    he also has a snack that I bring while waiting for the food to come out otherwise he gets cranky so eating off our plate is more than enough for him

Thanks
    Reviews
    I buy them! It was a big relief for me when DS1 started eating enough to justify a kids meal because it meant I could order whatever I wanted! We don't eat out that often, but will normally eat at a pub bistro with a kids play area. We found a nice one the other day with grilled fish, steamed veg and chips. DS1 all the fish, all the chips and half the veg. I think the meal only cost $8-$9. Looked lovely and fresh, I would have eaten it! Usually I let him have the Spag Bol or whatever. It means I can eat in peace and he eats well at home so I don't worry too much especially now he is a little older. I do wish there was more of a range for kids though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I would eat off that kids menu!
    I know, it was amazing! And the food came out beautifully presented and they were huge! We will definitely go back there, just because of how good the kids menu is (the adult food was delicious too, a semi-posh restaurant and we weren't sure how kid friendly they would be, but they were amazing!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We ordered a kids meal today - was corned silverside with white sauce, steamed vegetables and roast potatoes. DD loved it and ate so much of it. $7.90 including a drink bottle and a soft drink which I drank. I find I just pick and choose the healthiest option or the easiest for her to eat. Today was definitely a success

Thanks
    Reviews
    We either order and entree or a side of veg and DD will share with us, but depends where we are. I've ordered the occasional kids meal but I'll ask for veg instead of chips and get the fish and take the batter off (more chance of her eating it!). There's a nice cafe near me that does reasonable kids meals, sandwich with veg stick, fruit and a fresh squeezed juice.