+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellewood View Post
    But the kids menu is usually awful! Fried food or spaghetti. Even at decent restaurants. I've never been to a very good restaurant with DS as I wouldn't bother taking him at this point, he's too little and would ruin the experience for me although he is getting better now with sitting patiently.

Restaurants need to up the ante when it comes to kids menus big time!
    This. Often it's better to order sides (veg, rice, etc) with my meal so I can make up her own plate of something decent, or soup from the entree section. It's always the same: overpriced spag Bol, nuggets, chips, reheated frozen pizza. Yuck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    This. Often it's better to order sides (veg, rice, etc) with my meal so I can make up her own plate of something decent, or soup from the entree section. It's always the same: overpriced spag Bol, nuggets, chips, reheated frozen pizza. Yuck!
    I've actually had some great kids meals on offer (Tacos, mini steak and salad, grilled fish, chicken breast mini parma, woodfired pizza). In fact, when DD wants soup I sometimes order a kids meal for myself (tell them it's for her ) as the serving size is more appropriate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I rarely order a meal for DS (15 months) because the kids menus are always full of crap. I don't want him eating chips and nuggets and other deep fried stuff. We will let him eat a few chips off our plate but I won't order him a whole plate for himself.
    We will usually either order him a side of veges, or if the kids menu has something a bit healthier and isn't too expensive we'll get that. Otherwise he eats off our plates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I've actually had some great kids meals on offer (Tacos, mini steak and salad, grilled fish, chicken breast mini parma, woodfired pizza).
    I would love to come across those options on a kids menu - infact, once or twice we've had some lovely kid sized meals on offer but mostly the main ones seem to be spag bol (which none of my kids eat), fish bites/nuggets and chips, chicken nuggets and chips or pizza.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends. If the kids menu is good and reasonably priced, I order off that for DS which means I can order whatever I feel like without having to picked based on his preferences.

If the menu is deep fried food then we usually order an entree/ extra salad and both share our food with DS. He's only 17 months though, so when he's older and I know he would eat what he orders I would happily order him a plate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is nearly 4 and we've only recently ordered him a kids meal as most of it would just get left and wasted. We gave him things from our meal instead. Now he likes his own meal but the vast majority is fried food so not overly happy about it. Would love to see healthier options for kids more readily available! We don't eat out a lot so it won't hurt that it's unhealthy but annoys me how they underestimate kids and think they all want chips and nuggets!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (04-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't serve my kids fried nuggets or chips at home, so on the rare occasion that we do eat out, I don't mind if Ds1&2 share a plate of that. I usually order one plate and then they share.
    I know it's not the best kids option and more should be offered, but I'm not sure why people are so disgusted in this option. If you are serving your kids lots of vegetables, fruits and grilled meats every other day, isn't ok for your kids to have a treat of some chips and nuggets on the odd occasion?

Also if it's a lunch outing, I'll make sure they'll have a bowl of veggie soup that evening for dinner.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 04-10-2014 at 22:13.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

CMF  (05-10-2014),Fox in Sox  (06-10-2014),snowqu33n  (06-10-2014),Stretched  (05-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by slipper View Post
    I mean ordering for your child that is 4 or under? I have a 2.5 yr old and whenever we dine out we get given the kids menu too and I never order from it. I just take some off my and dh plate and put on his bread plate for him to eat.

Is this stingey? Some waiters make comments like oh did he eat before he came? I feel so embarrassed like I am just a tight a for not buying him a meal but when they are $15 I just think its such a waste...
    Seeing what others do
    Eating out in metro WA is so pricey! We just say yes he did eat before as he was hungry and we take food also and order something we can share.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've always ordered DS an entree off the menus as they are usually kids sizes, except now at nearly 4 he can nearly eat a main ! most of our local restaurants don't have kids meals but to the few I've been to that do most are pretty shocking, we eat out mainly at Italian/ pizza or Thai and Chinese restaurants so we usually all share everyone's meals or pizzas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    We do but the kids never eat it!

Last time we ordered a side of veggies for DS2 and a kids meal for DS1. DS1 ate the veg and DS2 ate some of my meal. Next time I won't bother with the kids meal at all.

"Insert witty signature here"