+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Best pain relief remedies?

Hoping people could share their best remedies for abdominal pain and painful contractions during pregnancy? I have tried heat pack for short periods and panadol.. Anything else? Particular positions or movements help?

(Yes, I have been checked out, I am having contractions, they aren't regular and aren't affecting my cervix just now and there's nothing my OB will give me that is safe for long term use)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have they not given anything like nifedipine to stop contractions given your history, I would have thought they would. I hope you find some adequate pain relief soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @LysnDan nope, nothing :-( If they were escalating they would but my OB (who delivered DD and dealt with the abruption) says that it's not for long term use to deal with these.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopefully they don't escalate.

I'd persist with the heat pack for short periods and rest. Ponstan stops uterine contractions, obviously run it past your gp. I took it during my pregnancy, but always safe to check!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A TENS machine might help. They aren't cheap, but if you plan to use it for a few months would probably work out cheaper than trying different painkillers

Thanks
    Reviews
    @meredithgrey I haven't tried any of those this time around. I was given that combo last time (plus nifedipine) when I was having contractions before having DD 6 days later, it helped ease the contractions that time, but I think they fall in to the category of not suitable for long term use according to my OB... I might check again this week when I see him, even if I can take something for a few days to give me a break.
    @SeymourTheBear do you know where I could find some info on TENS machine and if they're safe when you're not actually labouring?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found this -

http://www.oaa-anaes.ac.uk/assets/_m...WH%20Final.pdf

It's assessing it for musculoskeletal pain, but the safety aspects are same. I'd still have a chat to your OB on their opinion though :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a lot of pretty painful "niggling" as they were calling it from 33 weeks until I gave birth at 37 weeks. I was given panadeine forte to help at night to let me sleep but was only advised to take 1 with 1 Panadol (not sure about using it too much though, I chose not to take very much). Other than that hot showers/baths, heat packs, rocking hips while standing upright or on all fours, gentle bouncing/rocking on the fit ball, and plain old ignoring it (watching tv/doing work/reading etc) are what I tried. Heat was the best thing for me, especially a hot bath.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (05-10-2014)