+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Yeah I have been stung by this too with a visa debit. Now I have a credit card that I use purely for these sort of scenarios. In my case it was a hire car company, and they 'held' the $250 cash which was my entire budget for my weekend interstate. I was super peeved!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's standard everywhere we stay. If you use a 'real' visa card, rather than your bank card with a visa logo, the money is just held whereas if it's a bank card, the money goes out then back in. Huge pita! Dh got caught out in LA for business once and his work had to send funds to the hotel so they could refund his hold. He usually gets reimbursed for expenses but it was a tight month and a long stay.

sent from my magical device

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Happened to us in St Kilda. They said it's a party town so they have to- but no one told us about it until check in. It was our holiday spending money! They had stuffed is around a little bit (room wasn't ready- shifted twice while waiting in the lobby with two tired kids) so ended up only taking $100. Luckily I had that much on an old card so we were able to still enjoy our holiday. I asked if they could just imprint but they said no really annoying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    It's standard everywhere we stay. If you use a 'real' visa card, rather than your bank card with a visa logo, the money is just held whereas if it's a bank card, the money goes out then back in. Huge pita! Dh got caught out in LA for business once and his work had to send funds to the hotel so they could refund his hold. He usually gets reimbursed for expenses but it was a tight month and a long stay.

sent from my magical device
    This was the first time I used my visa debit when staying at a hotel. I wished I'd given them my MasterCard instead! Lesson learned

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never had them take my card and not put a hold on it. It's usually at least $100. I thought that was just normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Happened to me when i was in Sydney. They didnt actually say they were taking money, just for incidentals incase. I was refunded a few days later but they need to be clear on it. Usually i like to pay cash if they need a bond so i can get it back when i check out. Some hotels will let you do that.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    One hotel we stated at was over $300

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Degrassi View Post
    This was the first time I used my visa debit when staying at a hotel. I wished I'd given them my MasterCard instead! Lesson learned
    Unfortunately it maybe longer than a few days, ours was held in limbo for 30 days !!! Hotel said it was released but bank said it was in limbo and that the hotel has 30 days to claim so we didn't get it back until 30 days later

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh I had no idea about this! We've stayed in motels and apartments a few times recently and haven't noticed this at all. Seems a bit rude to assume everyone knows about it and not be upfront about it happening. I'll be checking next time too. Thanks for the heads up BHers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep pretty standard these days! It's taken up a week to get ours back sometimes!