+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Is this standard? Hotel taking bond $ upfront

I attended a concert on Thursday night and stayed in a hotel for convenience. I booked and paid for the room a month ago.

When I checked in, the clerk at the front desk asked for a credit card imprint, which I have done before at other hotels and I believe this is standard incase there are any incidentals they need to recover.

I checked my bank account the next day after arriving back home and the hotel had taken over $100 out of my card. I called the hotel to ask what this was for and they said it was standard and it was room bond. I was advised the money would be refunded after 48 hours. It's a long weekend in NSW, so I was told it will probably be Wednesday before I see the money.

I'm pretty peeved that they did this, as it was not explained to me at the time I checked in, and the card is not 'credit' as such, it's my savings account (visa debit).

This is mostly a petty vent, but I'm wondering if this is something a lot of other hotels do? It seems like a sh!tty practice to take someone's money the second they check in and then return it days later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Id be really ****ed! They should have explained that they would be taking x amount out immediately!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought that was pretty standard but they should have made it clearer to you at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think its common to do this but they should have to you first!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    This is pretty standard and they probably thought you understood what they meant.

Sent from my XT925 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would have been annoyed too as it's usually just the imprint they take in case of damages etc, they don't usually swipe it and deduct anything unless necessary in my own experience. Only time I've paid a bond upfront is if paying by cash not credit card. So maybe it's something to do with it being a debit card...as if there were damages and no money in your savings account they couldn't recover any costs. Could this be why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I've found over the last few years that hotels seem to be moving away from just keeping the credit card imprint or number on file to actually taking a small bond.

A cruise I went on took something like $200 per passenger when we boarded without full explanation!! Just the usual 'can we get a credit card number for any expenses' type thing.

Maybe they think it's returned before most people will check? Who knows.. I'm sure regular business travellers know the drill, but it would be nice for a full and proper explanation for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, most hotels I have stayed at do that.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes most hotels I've stayed at do that. The bigger ones take 200 and the small ones take 100. It's taken up to a week for my hold to be released before. Usually it's in the contract thing when you book (if online) or they should tell you upon check in. They should have been more clear but it's definitely a done thing. I'm staying at a big hotel next month and they don't even have the option for cash bond only card hold.

"And I gave that guy directions. Even though I didn't know the way. Because that's just the kind of guy I am this week. "

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Okay, seems like this IS pretty standard.

I'll ask upfront next time I stay in a hotel what they are going to do with my card.

I didn't expect them to take anything out without explaining first!