Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default MMR booster and waiting period for TTC

Apologies if this is in the wrong section

Back Story:
    I had a bunch of bloods done after having my second miscarriage in a row. Everything came back fine but my GP noted that I had low rubella immunity and has said she'd like me to have a booster.

My issue is that I've had 2 MMR booster's in the last 3 years - 1 in 2011 and another in 2013 and I still don't seem to have immunity. Is another booster likely to change this? I'm currently in the mindset that my immunity is still going to end up being low and I will have wasted another 3 months that we could have been TTC (We've been ttc for 16 months already).

Also the waiting period - is it 3 months or 1 month? Everyone seems to be giving different advice. My old GP said 3 months, but my new one has said 1

TIA
    Last edited by Sabochan; 04-10-2014 at 07:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I too have had a couple boosters in the last few years with no increase in immunity. I've been told that it can take a few times for someone to increase their immunity and others never seem to.

So I guess it's a decision you need to weigh up. Are there confirmed cases in your community of late? Is it a high vaccinated population?

Unless it's changed recently the waiting period after having it is 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for your reply

I did some research, turns out vaccination rates in my area are terrible so I guess that decision has already been made for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a tough one.

Get it and wait 3 months for it possibly not to have made any difference anyway or risk it not having it.

I was in the same boat with chicken pox aswell as I've no immunity to it either. It's an even longer wait because it's two needles spaced apart.

I tried to look at it from the point of view of people fall pregnant all the time without planning it and checking their immunity.

Obviously we want to protect our unborn bub but it's one of those things we just have to decide what we are comfortable with. There is risk in everything we do and if we worried about every little thing that could go wrong we'd never leave the house.

I'm not trying to sway you either way sorry, just giving something to think about so you can make the decision you are comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a nurse vaccinator so this is my field.
    Firstly if the 2011 and 2013 shots didn't work another one now won't either.
    Secondly the wait time is 28 days not 3 months (that's old information).
    If you have any other questions I'm happy to answer them.
    FWIW, I'm the same I had issue. The rubella component of the vaccine just doesn't work on me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Sabochan  (04-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BubblesK View Post
    I'm a nurse vaccinator so this is my field.
    Firstly if the 2011 and 2013 shots didn't work another one now won't either.
    Secondly the wait time is 28 days not 3 months (that's old information).
    If you have any other questions I'm happy to answer them.
    FWIW, I'm the same I had issue. The rubella component of the vaccine just doesn't work on me.
    Thanks for the info. I thought that would be the case. My GP seems adamant that I have to have it. I had low immunity with my first pregnancy also - now 3 year olds. But I was housebound most of that pregnancy and didn't come into contact with many kids. My boys are off to Kindy next year and I worry about what they might potentially bring home (they've been vaccinated). But I supposed even with getting the booster, it's still going to be the same when my body doesn't pick up the immunity anyway.
    28 days isn't really that long to wait so that part isn't an issue.

Oh chicken pox - should I be vaccinated for that? I've never had it, my younger brother got it, but somehow I didn't catch it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabochan View Post

Oh chicken pox - should I be vaccinated for that? I've never had it, my younger brother got it, but somehow I didn't catch it.
    Get your GP to get the lab to test the blood they have already sent off. Test to check if you need it. I've found most people have antibodies and never knew they had it. By that I mean they may have had a mild case at 18 months and their mums dont remember or get their illnesses confused with a sibling.
    If you need the vax it's two shots a month apart and you can't TTC for 28days after the shots ( just like the rubella one) so it will put you off TTC for quite a while.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Sabochan  (04-10-2014)