+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There seem to be lots of sleep overs happening for 9th birthdays for my oldest. She went to her first one recently. I know the parents well enough to know they'd look after her properly, and she was sleeping in a room with 4 other kids...I had zero concerns.
    I'll only not allow sleep overs when I don't know or trust the family. My 7 year omd was invited to a sleep over last year...a single mum addicted to pain killers and she was getting a friend I didn't know at all to help out...and it was just my child invited. That didn't happen.
    I will never ban sleep overs, but if I know the famiky.my kids can go. I loved sleepovers as a kid. We always had the best fun.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    For those who think they probably won't allow sleep overs until high school or aged 9 or 10, what are your thoughts on school camps? Is not allowing sleep overs earlier purely because you are worried about predators?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Nomsie View Post
    For those who think they probably won't allow sleep overs until high school or aged 9 or 10, what are your thoughts on school camps? Is not allowing sleep overs earlier purely because you are worried about predators?
    We (I'm a teacher at a small school) take our whole school (5-12yr olds) on camp and we recently went for a week. It was very interesting, more kids in the 5-8 age came than the 9-12 age!

Me -26 DH - 28+ Baby Vee coming 16/3/15

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My dd had a sleepover at her friends house when she was 6, for a birthday party. I had been to this friends house before and met the mother several times and made a judgement call on it being a safe environment, and let her go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids love sleepovers. They started having sleepovers at around year one age. They have only ever stayed with people that i am also friends with though. It just happens that ds and dd2 have sisters as their BFF's, so generally I have the siblings over and my kids go as a group too. The kids also stay at my BFF's house as a group and her kids come as a group to mine. I never even thought to think too much about it. The kids are happy and all the parents involved are happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have a set age for DS. He is only 1 but he has had a few sleepovers at Nanny's house. As far as sleepovers with friends, I can't say exactly but there are some close friends of mine who have little ones about the same age and I imagine they'll start having sleepovers a lot earlier than I would allow with other people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our kids (8 and 5) have had a number of sleepovers at our close friends' place (they will be their guardians if we die). They're like a second family - we've had their kids sleep over many times too.

Other then that DS has had 2 sleepovers at his best mates' place. We've gotten to know the family very well over the past 3 years and I am totally comfortable with it.

I think DD is too little to sleep at a mates' house just yet.

I don't have set rules - it's all a judgement call at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=VicPark;7953644

I'm not comfortable with sleepovers in my home, that's mainly because kids annoy me (a whole other thread!)[/QUOTE]

Ah I see, so it's ok for you to find kids too annoying but not students who say no to kids at study sessions.... Gotchya

I think for me it will be when DSstarts asking to go. He is 4 and doesn't even sleep over at his Dads house because although he loves visiting his Dad he wants to come home at the end if the day rather than sleep there, so we are both sensitive to that. Once he starts asking I/we will weigh it up then. But it will be based on what DS wants.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Full House  (04-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is nearly 8, and so far (apart from family) he's only had sleepovers with 2 different friends, their parents are also friends of mine who I trust completely. He hasn't been invited to any other sleepovers so far, but I wouldn't be comfortable with it unless I knew the parents extremely well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellewood View Post
    Ah I see, so it's ok for you to find kids too annoying but not students who say no to kids at study sessions.... Gotchya

If another mum is in a tight pickle I will reconsider and try to compromise instead of automatically putting myself first.