+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    See with all respect this last statement is a little frustrating. DD1 has friends who only ever allow sleepovers at their place. We've stopped allowing them. If they place so little trust in my family I feel a little funny allowing her to stay at their place. Just seems very contradictory.
    Oh sorry I didnt mean children, I meant adult family members and friends. The only child who has stayed the night at my house is my niece (BIL's daughter) because they dont have any other family.

Sorry if I wasnt clear. I am usually exhausted and mentally drained from my own kids. Having their friends sleep over isnt something I am up to at the moment

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    OkI get your point (that you trust friends and family in your home).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    OkI get your point (that you trust friends and family in your home).
    Yup, thats it, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know what age. Ds is 5 and he isn't ready at all, but he is difficult at night time and can be quite an anxious kid. We also don't have family to 'practice' with, so having dh and I there at night is all he has ever known. Perhaps in the next few yrs he will gain confidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD has only had a sleepover with the ILs, a handful of times. She's never been a great sleeper so I was concerned about her keeping FIL awake all night (MIL won't get up). But she's been surprisingly good, and I think it's actually been really good for her. Initially she will say she doesn't want to go but when I pick her up she tells me she's not ready to go home!

Friends sleepovers I'm not sure. We've had a couple of her little friends stay over on occasion but it wasn't so much a sleepover as doing their parents (our good friends) a favour by giving them the night off. I'm not really keen on making a habit of it though as our own lives are pretty hectic and it's a big ask at this age (nearly 3) for us to do that.

I remember from my own childhood I don't think we had sleepovers til high school, but then they became quite a regular occurrence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would depend on circumstances, but once they start school if I knew the parents well enough. I imagine I'd progressively relax throughout high school.

I have so many great memories of having sleepovers and I'd hate to deprive my kids of that.
    I'm not naive to the possibility of predators, but I don't believe the risks at a sleepover are as high as many on bh make out.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (03-10-2014),Lillynix  (04-10-2014),Sonja  (03-10-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ds#2 will be 10 in less than a month and a sleep over with a friend hasnt happened yet. He was invited to a sleep over birthday party, he went to the party and we picked him up late.

A) ive never even met the parents before

B) ds didnt want to.

I dont have a set age but there are lots of factors that come in to play; how well i know the people, how old my child is, how far away they are etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1, almost 10 has had loads of sleep overs. Always with people I know very well, she went to a sleep over birthday party recently & I told her to tell the mum she was sick and needed to go home if she felt uncomfortable or unhappy at all. I also made it very clear that I didn't care what time it was, I would always come and get her.

We have had plenty of kids sleep at our house too & DD is having 5 friends stay over for her birthday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post
    Last edited by Smyles; 04-10-2014 at 00:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dd1 has gone for sleep overs at friends places since she was about 2 (we were/are close friends with the parents). Once a month she would spend the weekend at my grandads place a couple of hourse away as well. We have since moved towns so she hasnt been on a sleep over to friends place in a couple of years until recently. We have become very close to an older lady and her family, and dd1 has become good friends with the grandaughters. We have sort of adopted this family as our family and them with us so she goes for sleep overs every now and then with them. As for friends from school etc, it hasnt really come up. I dont really have anything to do with the otjer parents (im a stop drop and go person whereas most of the other parents walk in with the kids), but there is one little girl she has become good friends with and I have gotten to know her mum really well so she would probably be the only one I would let her go to for now. I wouldn't let her go without knowing the parents very well first.

I started having sleepovers when I was 8 with my best friend, and as a teen I was never allowed to stay over someones place unless mum knew the parents well.