+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing!

I was never allowed sleep overs as a kid, either at someone else's house or kids at our house, so I have no idea what is the norm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 5 and she has regular sleepovers with her best friend. I'm super comfortable with the parents and we've become friends so it works well for both families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't need to sleepover at a friends house to develop maturity though.

Hell will freeze over before.we allow our kids to sleep over at a friends house before their teen years. My sister and my SIL were both molested by trusted family friends. My sister has worked through everything and doesn't let it define her. My SIL... well let's just say the actions of a vile man 27 years ago are affecting my own children today. She has not even come close to dealing with what happened we aren't willing to take the risk for something that just isn't necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not any time soon and my oldest is 7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    FWIW this is one of those topics on Bubhub that leaves me scratching my head.

The general consensus on here based on past threads in the same vein is not before high school, if ever, nor can they walk to school until high school, and as for being left alone at home, forget it until they're 14 or 15.

But then fine with marrying and having babies from 20 or 21.

How these kids are supposed to develop the maturity between then and starting their own families is beyond me
    Agree entirely! Also sleepovers (you know the real ones, with ghost stories and midnight feasts) was not something I would do in my teens. I stayed over at friends house of course, but it wasn't a "sleepover" if you know what I mean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Dd1 went for her first non family sleepover at 9yo I think or maybe just before her 9th birthday. She has had a few sleepovers now but only with 2 families. She will often take a mobile with credit along just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I have no idea.

My sons have only ever stayed at my mums house (all 3) and my BIL's house (DS1 only). Allowing DS1 (who is 6) to sleep at BIL's house was a huge deal for me, but I recognise that my opinion is clouded by the fact that my sister was molested by an uncle a couple of years ago so understandably there is a lot of fear there for me.

However we have had many family members and friends stay the night at our house. (Adult friends and family members just to avoid confusion)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by peanutmonkey; 03-10-2014 at 21:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    You don't need to sleepover at a friends house to develop maturity though.
    No but quite often those who don't allow sleepovers also don't allow many other things that allow children to develop independent maturity. Not always just often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I have no idea.

My sons have only ever stayed at my mums house (all 3) and my BIL's house (DS1 only). Allowing DS1 (who is 6) to sleep at BIL's house was a huge deal for me, but I recognise that my opinion is clouded by the fact that my sister was molested by an uncle a couple of years ago so understandably there is a lot of fear there for me.

However we have had many family members and friends stay the night at our house.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    See with all respect this last statement is a little frustrating. DD1 has friends who only ever allow sleepovers at their place. We've stopped allowing them. If they place so little trust in my family I feel a little funny allowing her to stay at their place. Just seems very contradictory.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 5 and has slept a handful of times over at my mums. He has been asking to have a sleep over at a friends place. The only place I would consider is my BFF. I've known her and her hubby for more than 20 years. At this stage there is no one else I would be comfortable in having him sleep over at yet.