+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 91
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,391
    Thanks
    812
    Thanked
    688
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd let a close friend bring her partner to stay, even if I didn't know them. But I'd be pretty p***ed if she just bought him along without even mentioning it. I'd expect a "Hey is it ok if ... stays at your place too?" and I would expect at least a few days notice that she was bringing him. It's just common courtesy.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,916
    Thanks
    637
    Thanked
    2,324
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On the subject of "Working With Children" check...all it is, is a police check. The uncle who raped my sister (several times) STILL doesn't have a police record, because my sister did not want to go through the trauma of facing him in court.
    So...those WWC cards mean nothing to me.

    Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app

  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

    Jodes35  (04-10-2014),KitiK  (04-10-2014),Night Owl  (04-10-2014),Starfish30  (04-10-2014),vue  (04-10-2014)

  4. #73
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,669
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked
    2,412
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Good question. I wouldn't be comfortable with my child going on an overnight school excursion until at least 11-12. My sister let my 9 year old niece go on an interstate school excursion and I nearly died.
    I swear I'm not picking on you (promise) but what are you worried about happening? I know a 14 year old who just went to France for a 3 week excursion with her school (public school). It would be a big stretch to wait until 11 or 12 for a child to be away for their first time and then put them on a plane to a non english speaking country for three weeks with their school and expect them to be able to cope with that. My 8 year old is having an overnight excursion next term, she is soooooo excited about it. It hasn't entered her head (or ours) to not allow her to go and she has life threatening medical conditions that we need to worry about. To be fair, at baby and toddler age the idea of sending her on a school excursion overnight at 8 years old would have received a 'never' response from me. But she's fiercely independent and capable of doing the right thing. She's been to a non-english speaking country without me this year for a couple of weeks and had the best time. An overnight excursion seems so small in comparison!

  5. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    I swear I'm not picking on you (promise) but what are you worried about happening? I know a 14 year old who just went to France for a 3 week excursion with her school (public school). It would be a big stretch to wait until 11 or 12 for a child to be away for their first time and then put them on a plane to a non english speaking country for three weeks with their school and expect them to be able to cope with that. My 8 year old is having an overnight excursion next term, she is soooooo excited about it. It hasn't entered her head (or ours) to not allow her to go and she has life threatening medical conditions that we need to worry about. To be fair, at baby and toddler age the idea of sending her on a school excursion overnight at 8 years old would have received a 'never' response from me. But she's fiercely independent and capable of doing the right thing. She's been to a non-english speaking country without me this year for a couple of weeks and had the best time. An overnight excursion seems so small in comparison!
    Abuse. There's a royal commission into institutionalized abuse which to me says there are enough shady things going on to justify being cautious. I don't think I would ever be ok with an 8 year old going on an overnight excursion without a parent. They have no idea at that age how to identify predatory behavior or protect themselves.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (04-10-2014)

  7. #75
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,669
    Thanks
    1,004
    Thanked
    2,412
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Abuse. There's a royal commission into institutionalized abuse which to me says there are enough shady things going on to justify being cautious. I don't think I would ever be ok with an 8 year old going on an overnight excursion without a parent. They have no idea at that age how to identify predatory behavior or protect themselves.
    I think that it's fine to be cautious, everyone should be cautious...I guess for me it's about weighing up my worries vs letting my children experience life. I have a friend who grew up with a very protective mother who didn't let her experience anything due to her desire to keep her safe (understandable), but she failed to prepare her for the real world too and it was a struggle when she first went out on her own. I am far more concerned about there being a mishap with my child's medical condition than I am about her being molested at a one night camp. Sharing tents/cabins with friends and the school's 'take a buddy to the toilet' rule...I'm not too concerned.

    I guess part of it for me too is, I left home when I was 18, my husband moved countries by himself at 17 and our oldest already talks about the different countries she wants to live in as soon as she's finished highschool. I need to make sure she's adequately prepared to go overseas on her own like she plans to do. If I didn't let her go on overnight excursions until she was 11 or 12, and never let her stay at friend's houses (which would mean she only ever slept over at her grandparent's house) then I just couldn't see her being ready to go and spread her wings at 18 (which trust me, the thought of her living in another country by herself terrifies me...but she has talked about seeing the world for some time now and we've had very serious discussions about how soon she can go etc. This is really important for her so I just need to ignore the concerns and fears and do my job as a parent to get her ready for her big adventures).
    Last edited by Full House; 04-10-2014 at 13:34.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

    Lincolns mummy  (04-10-2014)

  9. #76
    Buttoneska's Avatar
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,677
    Thanks
    2,066
    Thanked
    1,981
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I prob wouldn't let the stay tbh. Not just him but if I don't really know her either. Dunno

  10. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    665
    Thanks
    624
    Thanked
    265
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's right to be cautious. Families SA sacked 25 people yesterday after an internal investigation found them to be unsuitable to work with children. Another 70 odd are "high risk" and being investigated. This came about after one of their social workers committed an offense against a child in his care.
    Last edited by Redcorset; 04-10-2014 at 13:48.

  11. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    . If I didn't let her go on overnight excursions until she was 11 or 12, and never let her stay at friend's houses (which would mean she only ever slept over at her grandparent's house) then I just couldn't see her being ready to go and spread her wings at 18
    ..... I just can't reconcile myself with this. There are plenty of ways to educate your children in the ways of the world... It's not hard... I find it a little absurd to suggest that unless a kid is allowed to go on sleepovers/overnight excursions before 11 that they won't be ready to tackle the world at 18.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    btmacxxx  (04-10-2014),Starfish30  (04-10-2014)

  13. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    I am far more concerned about there being a mishap with my child's medical condition than I am about her being molested at a one night camp.
    The duration of a camp is irrelevant. It only takes 5 seconds to molest a child.

  14. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,754
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked
    431
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The duration of a camp is irrelevant. It only takes 5 seconds to molest a child.
    But it also doesn't need to be an overnight stay for someone to be molested. Where do you draw the line, not ever letting your child out of your sight? What about when they go to school, kindy or even childcare?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Unknown PGD stories...
    By Scruffy in forum IVF
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2014, 21:54
  2. Old wives tale? Unknown Illness.
    By Mummy Potato in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 13:29
  3. What do I 'need' for a house?
    By monnie24 in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 26-10-2013, 07:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!