+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimmyN View Post
    Are u kidding me?! That is ridiculous. Is every parent suppose to be watching male house guests like a hawk? What about women? They are just as capable of those disgusting acts.
    It's like parents being too worried to put their child into care where a male works. I've worked with many male childcare workers and they are so much better than women in my opinion!
    That is a horrible thing to be assuming. I understand good ol' dr Phil said it but c'mon.
    Although women are just as capable as men as committing offences against children, statistically, the majority of child sex offenders are male (around 95%, but the exact percentage varies in different studies and countries). So yes, a male is much more likely to commit an offence than a female.

OP, i wouldnt be comfortable having a male i dont know having unsupervised access to my child's bedroom all night long. I would not have them stay. Even if i knew the person, if a male was spending the night in my house, the kids would be sleeping in my room. Call it overprotective or expecting the worst, i just know that appx 20% of children have been

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently had four house guests that I had never met stay two nights in our house!!! DH knew one of them (a friend of his he used to work with when he lived over East) and had met that guy's girlfriend once.. but they were also coming with this guy's dad and one of the girlfriend's friends who he had never met either of (not really relevant but they were coming over as a starting point for the Cancer Council's Sh*t box rally and used our place as base camp while prepping).

I was a bit apprehensive because I didn't know them.. although I would say DH is a good judge of character (aside from his ex-wife maybe ) and it was reassuring that he knew one of them, at least, very well.

DD sleeps upstairs and I let the girls sleep upstairs in our guest room whilst the guys slept downstairs in the lounge.. and I probably wouldn't have felt too comfortable with that being the other way around.

If DH didn't know any of them, then I wouldn't have allowed it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are many opportunists out there and I wouldn't give anyone an 'opportunity'. Perpetrators are cunning. I know of a victim who said a father of her school friend would wait in the bathroom during sleepovers and expose himself to each individual child who entered the bathroom. I know someone else whose perpetrator pretended he was drunk at a party, was 'put into bed' whilst everyone else partied on and then molested the 2 children asleep in their bedrooms. Difficult to prove the abuse when most of the party saw how 'drunk' he was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dad has always worked for the airlines. The amount of times he brought home randoms who had missed their flight, had their flight cancelled or were new migrants.

As a kid dad would call mum and tell her that "rajiv missed his flight because of the typhoon, I feel sorry for him as he can't afford to stay in a hotel so ive invited him with or without his family to stay with us". I can even recall more times that some random rellie has called saying that their friend/cousin/distant aunt was in town and if they could stay with us. We once hosted a family of 4 for a month till they found their own accom after they migrated to bris.

It's called hospitality.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (03-10-2014),misskittyfantastico  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Btw I just had my gf from os stay with me with her bf I've never met. Kids just slept in my room.

Problem solved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    There are many opportunists out there and I wouldn't give anyone an 'opportunity'. Perpetrators are cunning. I know of a victim who said a father of her school friend would wait in the bathroom during sleepovers and expose himself to each individual child who entered the bathroom. I know someone else whose perpetrator pretended he was drunk at a party, was 'put into bed' whilst everyone else partied on and then molested the 2 children asleep in their bedrooms. Difficult to prove the abuse when most of the party saw how 'drunk' he was.
    WTF is wrong with people?? I hate that there are people that are like that, they need a bullet to the brain. Just sickens me, exposing, molesting, raping, etc.. Makes me physically ill.

To answer OP, I won't have any men or women I don't know here with my kids, especially wary of men, saw that Dr Phil episode where he said what you stated earlier. What a crap world we live in where we have to be so worried about predators like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For those that say flat out 'no', what do you do about school? School camps, excursions etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Btw I just had my gf from os stay with me with her bf I've never met. Kids just slept in my room.

Problem solved.

Absolutely. This is what I would do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    For those that say flat out 'no', what do you do about school? School camps, excursions etc?
    Do you mean about our children on a camp with adults with blue cards and known to the organisation? Bit of a long bow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    My dad has always worked for the airlines. The amount of times he brought home randoms who had missed their flight, had their flight cancelled or were new migrants.

As a kid dad would call mum and tell her that "rajiv missed his flight because of the typhoon, I feel sorry for him as he can't afford to stay in a hotel so ive invited him with or without his family to stay with us". I can even recall more times that some random rellie has called saying that their friend/cousin/distant aunt was in town and if they could stay with us. We once hosted a family of 4 for a month till they found their own accom after they migrated to bris.

It's called hospitality.

What's hospitality to some is risky to others.
    - don't get me wrong I enjoy reading your input. We're from two different worlds but it would be boring if everyone was the same.