+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think I'd even let a male friend I DO know stay the night now I have kids. I don't think it's just a stranger thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If your worried about that then just tell her no as you will be panicked the whole time they are there - but don't they say the majority of child abusers are known to the family so in theory the risk is no different for someone you don't know?

I have relatives/ friends that come and stay with us all the time from interstate and am used to having lots of house guests and DS loves having people stay over so I've honestly never thought to worry about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If your worried about that then just tell her no as you will be panicked the whole time they are there - but don't they say the majority of child abusers are known to the family so in theory the risk is no different for someone you don't know?

I have relatives/ friends that come and stay with us all the time from interstate and am used to having lots of house guests and DS loves having people stay over so I've honestly never thought to worry about it
    Dr Phil says a child with a non biological father/ male adult in the house is 20 times more likely to be sexually abused...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Dr Phil says a child with a non biological father/ male adult in the house is 20 times more likely to be sexually abused...
    Are u kidding me?! That is ridiculous. Is every parent suppose to be watching male house guests like a hawk? What about women? They are just as capable of those disgusting acts.
    It's like parents being too worried to put their child into care where a male works. I've worked with many male childcare workers and they are so much better than women in my opinion!
    That is a horrible thing to be assuming. I understand good ol' dr Phil said it but c'mon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SimmyN View Post
    Are u kidding me?! That is ridiculous. Is every parent suppose to be watching male house guests like a hawk? What about women? They are just as capable of those disgusting acts.
    It's like parents being too worried to put their child into care where a male works. I've worked with many male childcare workers and they are so much better than women in my opinion!
    That is a horrible thing to be assuming. I understand good ol' dr Phil said it but c'mon.
    Stats are stats. Can't change them just so people don't get offended. I think the moral of the story is be careful if you invite a male into your home (especially a boyfriend etc).

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (04-10-2014),KaraB  (03-10-2014),Lauzy  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was an article about this in the paper recently that said children who have a non biological parent living in the house full time (ie: step parent) are 20 times more likely to be sexually abused than a person living with biological parents. I'm not saying VP should have a person she doesnt know stay in the house, just saying that her stats from Dr Phil have been quoted elsewhere. Also, not having a crack at you by any means, I just recall reading the report and being saddened by the stats. Here is the link to the article http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opin...d275e9c78934d8

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not offended in that sense. I'm offended that people judge men in the way that the majority of them are out to hurt children.
    N where exactly did those stats come from? Where did dr Phil get them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'm not offended in that sense. I'm offended that people judge men in the way that the majority of them are out to hurt children.
    You are reading too much into things. No-one said the majority of men are sexual offenders and out to hurt kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    see my link above.