+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2.5 yr old stopped day naps

Hello,

My 2.5 year old toddler dropped his afternoon day nap about a month ago. The problem is he clearly still needs it, he is very grumpy and sleepy around 4 pm.

Up until a month ago he was a fantastic sleeper. He sleeps through the night (7 pm to 6 am) and used to nap for around 2 hrs, he would go down without a fight.

He sleeps in a toddler bed so I can't force him to stay in bed for his nap. I'm not a fan of letting him cry. I tried it twice and he just screamed for an hour when he was left in his bedroom. I tried to start "quiet time" where he just stays in bed and reads books but this does not work.

He becomes very anxious at the mention of a nap and repeats "no bed time" in a worried voice.

I am not a fan of co-sleeping so do not want to lie down in the bedroom with him. Plus I work full time and don't want his nanny doing this either.

Is there anything I can try or should I just accept he has outgrown his naps? Most of the toddlers I know napped until they were 3...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally I would just go with it and accept that he won't nap any more - my DD did the same around her 2nd birthday. There were days she probably should have napped right up until she was 3, but it wasn't worth the stress for me. Could you put your LO down early for a while to help him cope with the change? Maybe 6pm or 6.30pm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son stopped having regular day naps around 2. If he did have one he would cry hysterically for about 30min after waking. Maybe your little one will still want one a couple of times a week but not every day? I like the previous poster's idea about the earlier bedtime on no nap days.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does he have a fairly solid lunch time routine? I found Ds1 started refusing naps around 2yrs when at home, but would nap at daycare. The difference was that we were a bit all over the place at home and had no real routine, so I started a solid routine of lunch, story/ wind down time, then nap (time varied a bit, but always in that order) and he went back to having his day nap. Aside from a few phases of refusing, he still has a day nap at 3.5yrs.

The times he has refused to nap I have just tried to keep him awake in the afternoons and put him to bed a bit earlier.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 02-10-2014 at 21:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine dropped hers a few months after she turned 2. Took her a while to adjust but soon she was fine without it. She has one at care about once a month but that's it.

I would let it go and start nightime routine earlier. They are always happier when they're in their jammies and know bedtime isn't far away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 stopped naps at 21 months. 4pm to 6pm was hideous for about 6 months. I had to be organised early in the day with dinner ready to go (ie re-heat or pop in the oven to cook) as come 4pm it was meltdown time. We used to have a cuddle, a story, watch TV, anything to gets us through until 4.45 when it was bath time. Dinner at 5.30, then bed between 6 & 6.30. Luckily she slept through until 7.30am. I just could not get her down for a nap as she would scream or throw herself out of her cot (she had a cot until 3 and never got out unless it was at nap time).