+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how long is recovery after egg collection (day surgery)

Hi all I'm starting my first ivf cycle any day now (waiting for my period to come) and trying to work out days off il need with work (childcare teacher with babies) im just wondering how you felt after the day surgrey??when they collected the eggs.. im still not sure if im going to get knocked out or just lightley sedated.. Just wondering if I need to take a few days off work after the surgery or if I should be ok to go back the next day... looking forward to hearing back from you all 😊 amy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I needed 2 days with each of mine. The anaesthetic really knocks me around! Good luck!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    @phee83 @mushy

Did you have the local or did you get fully knocked out?? I'm still not sure which one to do I've never had surgrey or anything before so this is all new to me.. and is it true they put a sticker on the inside of your hand with a number of how many eggs they took out so when you wake up you know? 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was fully knocked out with a general all three times. My first cycle I'd been told I was only having a twilight anesthetic/sedation, but when I got to the hospital they said no they always do general for this procedure.

As for the number of eggs, with my first clinic I just asked whichever nurse I saw first after waking up how many eggs they got as it was written on my chart. With the second clinic the doctor wrote the number of eggs all down my arms and legs

Thanks
    Reviews
    @phee83 
    Ok sounds good to me all I worry about is feeling the pain when do it but I just keep reminding myself what to outcome is at the end (if works first time around)

our doctor also suggested that we put only one fertilized egg back in but I thought that you could put up to two fertilzed eggs in but he said that leads to many triplets etc and they don't like doing that these days because of high risks.. have you heard of this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our first clinic said you were only allowed to put one back in the first cycle and that it's a Medicare rule (not sure if that's true or not but it's what they told me), but you could put 2 back second cycle if the doctor agrees. Our second clinic had a rule that you had to had to have 2 failed cycles before they would consider putting two back (but they would count cycles at other clinics).

So I think only one embryo in your first cycle is common, but after that each clinic can be a little different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also didn't have much pain from the surgery, for me it was more recovering from the anaesthetic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @phee83  ok thankyou I just wanted to check if anyone else doctor had said the same so sounds good that you were told the same.. 😊

@mushy thankyou I look forward to it im excited and a bit scared all at the same time 😊

💓

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by phee83 View Post
    I needed 2 days with each of mine. The anaesthetic really knocks me around! Good luck!

This was me too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sethysmum For This Useful Post:

amy111  (02-10-2014)