+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw the sleep consultant yesterday, she was great. Helped me with settling techniques & a routine.

Last night by the time dh walked in the door ds was asleep. Dh was very happy but surprised that it had happened so fast - normally ds would scream for about 4 hours every evening so dh would walk in & get handed a screaming ds.

The techniques she taught me are great! Last night he didnt cry at all when I was getting him down, this morning he grizzled a tiny bit but settled when I picked him up. He's like a different baby!

Hopefully I can keep doing it!

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (09-10-2014),Busy-Bee  (09-10-2014),Cue  (09-10-2014),Sookie Stackedhouse  (09-10-2014),TheGooch  (09-10-2014),Tippytoes  (09-10-2014),wobbleyhorse  (09-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's an awesome start! Do you mind sharing what technique you tried? I've got a newbie due in a few months and ive forgotten what to do!

Sent from my SM-N9007 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Funnels For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (09-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I saw the sleep consultant yesterday, she was great. Helped me with settling techniques & a routine.

Last night by the time dh walked in the door ds was asleep. Dh was very happy but surprised that it had happened so fast - normally ds would scream for about 4 hours every evening so dh would walk in & get handed a screaming ds.

The techniques she taught me are great! Last night he didnt cry at all when I was getting him down, this morning he grizzled a tiny bit but settled when I picked him up. He's like a different baby!

Hopefully I can keep doing it!

Did you see Elaine? At SOS lullababy? Sounds really positive!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope scratch that. Even though I was able to get him down he wouldnt sleep for longer than 30 minutes & wouldnt resettle. And now he starts SCREAMING every time i swaddle him cause he knows that means its bedtime. So today we are back to him screaming on & off all day, feeding every hour to hour & a half (no idea why he's doing that, waiting to hear from my ibclc) & then handing a screaming ds to dh when he gets home from work & listening to him screaming for the next few hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Nope scratch that. Even though I was able to get him down he wouldnt sleep for longer than 30 minutes & wouldnt resettle. And now he starts SCREAMING every time i swaddle him cause he knows that means its bedtime. So today we are back to him screaming on & off all day, feeding every hour to hour & a half (no idea why he's doing that, waiting to hear from my ibclc) & then handing a screaming ds to dh when he gets home from work & listening to him screaming for the next few hours.

When my DD was like this hubby used to swaddle her and the put her on the feeding pillow around his waist and bounce on a fitball. It was the only thing that would work. We also did lots of fitball bouncing in the bedroom at night to try and calm her down and get her to sleep.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (09-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im trying to follow the routine I was given but its really hard - cause he wont sleep for more than 30 minutes he is only allowed to be awake for 45 mins to an hour. I spend half of that time feeding him & the rest trying to get him to go to sleep. If he does go down then we repeat 30 minutes later

Honestly I think it was easier when I just didnt even bother trying to get him to go to sleep at all, basically fed him all day (just shoved a boob in his mouth every time he cried) then handed him screaming to dh when he came home.

And every time I try to sleep him in his rocker/pram/on my lap instead in the lounge room, every single dog around us starts barking & wakes him up

Last edited by heartstringz; 09-10-2014 at 11:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How long are you spending feeding? It might be worth speaking to a lactation consultant because I was spending sooooo much time feeding when DD was that age. Apparently I was actually going for far too long and when I reduced it down she was still happy with wet nappies etc. If he isn't consistently sucking and swallowing then he's just faffing around and doing sucks here and there for comfort and out of habit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Its normal for it to be hard at first with a new routine and changes. Its even normal for him to resist them. But u can be so very worth it. Set yourself a goal of sticking with the things you were taught for a week and then reassess....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    His feeds used to take an hour but suddenly they only take 10-15 minutes & he never takes the seccond breast (he always used to) & then half the time he does hunger cues (I think) 1 hour to 1 & 1/2 hours later ive contacted my lactation consultant but she is with a client, just waiting to hear back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went through a frustrating time with DD around 3-4 mths age - when I look back on that time it seemed I spent most of my day in a darkened room trying to get DD to sleep. As we fed to sleep it was such a disaster as she would feed, be tired but not sleep, then latch on and off frantically as she wanted to sleep but didn't want milk. It was just awful but then around 5.5 mths I made a helpful change. I found she was feeding to sleep for her morning nap ok but not her afternoon nap. So if she fed and didn't sleep, I wouldn't waste more time trying to get her to sleep in bed, I'd pop her in the baby carrier and sway while watching tv. Sometimes she'd be asleep in 5 mins, sometimes there'd be some tears and it would be 45 mins but she'd sleep eventually. I know you've had back issues but I used an Ergo baby carrier and found that really comfy. After she was asleep I could even sit back on the couch. It took the pressure off me putting her to sleep, and her falling asleep herself with me just vegging out watching telly.

Just also adding my DD wouldn't take a pacifier normally, but in the baby carrier if she had a cry I could slip it in and just hold it there with one hand so it wouldn't fall out and that helped. If I just gave her a paci normally she'd start playing with it or spit it out.
    Last edited by Piyamj; 09-10-2014 at 12:50.